PLBs Can Save Your Life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Somewhat of a dumb question. But is there a country where a PLB won’t work (ie, they don’t have a SAR team attuned to the signal it is sending). If I buy US version and register it, I assume it will still work when I go snowboarding in Japan, right?

It might work in Japan, but it would be illegal to use it:

"In Japan, basic GPS Satellite Messengers such as SPOT and Garmin inReach can be used anywhere by anyone as a quasi-PLB. More powerful radio-wave emitting PLBs, however, are a) restricted to use on the ocean and b) require a basic Japan wireless radio station license (無線局免許). Currently, only one make and model of 406MHz PLB is authorized for use in Japan - the Japanese version of the ACR ResQLink+ (on the ocean only, and only for license holders)."

Can I use a PLB in Japan? | The Hokkaido Wilds

"
What happens if I use my PLB in Japan?
If a PLB is used in Japan by a non-licensed individual and/or on land, or a foreign-licensed user uses their non-Japan compliant device in Japan, this will be a violation of the Japan Radio Law (電波法違反), which carries a maximum penalty of 1 year imprisonment or a 1,000,000yen (US$9,200) fine. If the use results in interference with public communications (such as radio, TV etc), then the maximum penalty is either 5 years imprisonment or a 5,000,000yen (US$46,000) fine.

But really? Would a judge really impose such a penalty on someone simply seeking emergency assistance? To find out, I called the Hokkaido Bureau of Telecommuications (北海道総合通信局), the governmental agency overseeing the laws and regulations regarding the use of radios and other communications in Hokkaido. Their answer was understandably opaque. “We can’t say, as it would depend on the circumstances, and it would be up to the courts to decide,” was their answer."

Hehehe.. I agree. I was mainly interested with the potential dual nature of these PLB’s. What do you guys like to use / have for your PLB?
Huh? What?

Get a PLB, register it, get a dive canister, carry it, and hope you never need to use it. Grease the canister o-ring for every trip or every week and replace annually. Have the battery replaced and unit tested by an authorized technician after 5-7 years depending on model.

Huh? What?

Get a PLB, register it, get a dive canister, carry it, and hope you never need to use it. Grease the canister o-ring for every trip or every week and replace annually. Have the battery replaced and unit tested by an authorized technician after 5-7 years depending on model.

I could be wrong @DandyDon but I think Joshua was responding to me suggesting that we don't let this thread get bogged down in the weeds.

He was hoping to be able to get a device that he could use both for diving and snowboarding.

As I understand it, you use yours for both hiking and scuba.

However, @Joshua Young can't use it on land in Japan (as I'm understanding other posts in this thread).

I could be wrong @DandyDon but I think Joshua was responding to me suggesting that we don't let this thread get bogged down in the weeds.

He was hoping to be able to get a device that he could use both for diving and scubaboarding.

However, @Joshua Young can't use it on land in Japan (as I'm understanding other posts in this thread).

yes. I was referring to your post, which was the last post before my reply. I didn’t realize it would have set off a firestorm.

It might work in Japan, but it would be illegal to use it:

"In Japan, basic GPS Satellite Messengers such as SPOT and Garmin inReach can be used anywhere by anyone as a quasi-PLB. More powerful radio-wave emitting PLBs, however, are a) restricted to use on the ocean and b) require a basic Japan wireless radio station license (無線局免許). Currently, only one make and model of 406MHz PLB is authorized for use in Japan - the Japanese version of the ACR ResQLink+ (on the ocean only, and only for license holders)."

Can I use a PLB in Japan? | The Hokkaido Wilds

"
What happens if I use my PLB in Japan?
If a PLB is used in Japan by a non-licensed individual and/or on land, or a foreign-licensed user uses their non-Japan compliant device in Japan, this will be a violation of the Japan Radio Law (電波法違反), which carries a maximum penalty of 1 year imprisonment or a 1,000,000yen (US$9,200) fine. If the use results in interference with public communications (such as radio, TV etc), then the maximum penalty is either 5 years imprisonment or a 5,000,000yen (US$46,000) fine.

But really? Would a judge really impose such a penalty on someone simply seeking emergency assistance? To find out, I called the Hokkaido Bureau of Telecommuications (北海道総合通信局), the governmental agency overseeing the laws and regulations regarding the use of radios and other communications in Hokkaido. Their answer was understandably opaque. “We can’t say, as it would depend on the circumstances, and it would be up to the courts to decide,” was their answer."

Ouch. That’s going to get tricky. I think with this in mind I’d rather get an inreach first then augment it with a PLB later when I’m actually going on a diving trip.

Likelihood is that the 4 Of us will be diving together as a family: my wife and I, and our two daughters, 15 and 18. So, probably, the economically prudent thing to do is to have one person carry the Inreach, and the dive buddy Carry the PLB

EDITED snowboarding.
Snowboarding I believe. There were suggestions that he needs an avalanche beacon as well. I don't know about snowboarding or avalanche beacons, but I think they transmit thru snow to some extent to aid rescuers trying to find survivors to dig out. I have seen other avalanche protection devices, and as unstable as that island is, I think I'd want to carry it all.

Yep, and if I was lost or hurt in the wilds of Japan somewhere, I'd activate it, hoping NOAA could persuade local rescuers to save my needy self. Like RogueClimber seemed to suggest, save me first, then I'll talk to the judge.

I didn’t realize it would have set off a firestorm.
You didn't. I just didn't understand your vague statement there.

Somewhat of a dumb question. But is there a country where a PLB won’t work (ie, they don’t have a SAR team attuned to the signal it is sending). If I buy US version and register it, I assume it will still work when I go snowboarding in Japan, right?

@rjack321 posted a list of country that offer SAR, ECO in this thread, Russian drifted for two days in 8°C/46°F degree waters - Sea of Japan

The list of countries is not complete, yet. Some countries, like Germany, don't have SAR. Japan does have SAR, but it is not in the list, yet.

Consider keeping it in your glove box rather than in a drawer at home, when not in immediate use for diving, hiking, boating, skiing, etc.

Currently, only one make and model of 406MHz PLB is authorized for use in Japan - the Japanese version of the ACR ResQLink+ (on the ocean only, and only for license holders)."

Being that my company is a US ACR PLB dealer, I was curious about this so I spoke to the people at ACR. Never heard of the "Japanese version" myself as we never had a request for one. Found out there isn't really anything special about the "Japanese version" of the ACR PLB other than the language printed on the labels. That's pretty much it. The only significant difference is that it's programmed with Japan's country code. But, programming it to the country that it's going to registered in is a common practice regardless of the country. Of course, that doesn't address the need for a license! Which is just plain stupid IMO. :)

There were suggestions that he needs an avalanche beacon as well. I don't know about snowboarding or avalanche beacons, but I think they transmit thru snow to some extent to aid rescuers trying to find survivors to dig out.

Avalanche beacons are basically the same thing as the 121.5MHz homing signal that is found in PLB and EPIRB. It just operates on a lower frequency so the signal can penetrate snow, but basically the same thing.

Back
Top Bottom