Uncomfortable breathing underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So I come down to Saint Marteen for my birthday and want to treat myself to a scuba cert. It did not go well. I can't seem to get over the breathing underwater part. Barely got through the the first course. I keep wanting to bring my head above the surface. Anxiety perhaps.I not sure what is causing it. Just so frustrating. Does anyone have any tips. Am doing my closed water in zero visibility. Am going to try again tomorrows. Thanks for any advice.

As others have stated, I'm somewhat surprised by the statement "doing my closed water in zero visibility".

Just to confirm PADI standards for Confined Water are:

"Confined water is a general term that refers to either a swimming pool or confined open water.

Confined open water is an open water site that offers swimming pool like conditions with respect to clarity, calmness, and depth."

The only time I have ever felt claustrophobic is under sheets and or blanket of all places. With more or less the same result. A deep need to uncover my mouth. Always thought it weird.

Gary, it is the very simple way for beginners.
Take scuba, and go in to the water at deepth around 1m.
take 2nd stage in to the mouth and start to breath on the air!
Then put your face (only face, not full head) on the surface, and continue SLOWLY breathing.
When your mind (not you! just your senses) will told you "you still can breath", try to bend your knees, and try to go under water in full.
All this exercises you have to do slowly. very slowly.

When you will stay in comfort - try to repeat it faster. And continue breathing.

Later, as more difficult, and for future lessons (you will need to do it anyway, due diving education) do the same, but without mask.
Begin to do it (and any other tasks) slowly. Then repeat it faster and faster.

It's a lagoon. For whatever reason the vis is about 1 foot

How on earth are you doing anything in 1ft of vis?
Your instructor won't even be able to see you.

Find an instructor that will teach your confined water in a pool or at least some confined water with reasonable visibility.
That and using the techniques given by others should solve your problem.

Instructor was about a foot away to see me complete all the basic tasks. Have a front coming in. So they cancelled today's try. As the vis will be reduced even further and the lagoon is too rough.

Well, that does explain the visibility! I need say no more.
Alexander's method is a good one--I've read several versions like that.
I don't think claustraphobia seems to be the problem, though I'm no expert. My wife has it in almost every condition (she can't dive because the wetsuit would be too constricting--mentally).
I think a lot of snorkeling is always a great idea. You are breathing with your mouth, head mostly submerged, mask over nose. Dive down to the bottom, come up, clear, etc. Helps with all the scuba "airway"/mask skills.

So do to the heavy surf. We went a took the test in the owners pool at thier house. I totally got past the breathing underwater. However I kept failing the breathing without a mask. I could do it once then put the mask on and clear it. Then I would fail the 2nd time then be successful on the thrift. I was able to stay down 2 minutes without a mask. It's something about the transition back to the mask and clearing it.

Back
Top Bottom