What’s the difference between junior open water diver and open water diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Joschka

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So I did a dive course with SSI two years ago, I was 14 at the time and I got my junior open water diver certificate, what’s the difference between that and a open water diver, was it just because of my age or do I need to do another course

From a SSI shop website

The SSI Junior OWD program is a Certification Course for youth aged 10 - 14 years of age. The course outline is identical to that of the SSI Open Water Diver Certificationcourse, although the certification itself has some restrictions for your child's safety.

• SSI Junior Open Water Divers are certified to a maximum depth of 45' (14 metres)
  • Juniors must dive with a Certified Parent/Guardian or a Dive Professional at all times
Once a Jr. OWD turns 15 years of age, their certification can be upgraded to an SSI Open Water Diver Certification by completing the SSI Scuba Skills Update Program. This program consists of one classroom session and 1 pool session.

If you are now 15, or older, you can upgrade to OW.

Bob

I mention on the other thread, I don't think you need pay to get the upgraded card, just proof of age if needed by someone. But check into it, as cards cost money. If you get your Advanced you won't ever show an OW card again and you paid extra for it. But check it out, I'm not 100% positive. Call the agency.

@Joschka, within the dive industry, divers under the age of 15 are considered "Junior" divers and there are increased supervision requirements. Depending on their age, that could be that they have to dive with a dive professional or with a parent or guardian that is a certified diver. Once you turn 15, those supervision requirements are lifted.

For MOST diver operators, if you show a Junior OW card and show them you are 15+ years old, they will treat you as a standard OW diver. To simplify things, you could reach out to SSI and have them issue you a standard OW card...I'm not sure if there's a cost for that.

As was mentioned by @TMHeimer, you could also take an advanced course with most any agency. Once you do that, you'd never really need to show your OW card again and the advanced card would not mention "Junior" because you are 15+ now.

With SSI using free digital cards, I believe it will switch over on it's own. Even if there is some paperwork required, it should be free. Plastic cards will cost, but for my 14 y.o. I just printed the e card on cardstock and laminated it. No issues to date.
Respectfully
James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom