Where would you live?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Besides the safety of food and water, which you can usually control by taking precautions, you should also think about the prevalence of tropical diseases in various locations, especially since you have a young child. I'm talking about diseases like malaria, dengue, typhoid, etc. I'm not saying that this is the only factor to consider, but it should also be taken into consideration when you make your decision. Good luck with your choice!

diseases like malaria, dengue, typhoid, etc.

This is a good point. And although in many parts of SE Asia, particularly in the more populated areas, diseases like malaria are no longer an issue, they still have damn mozzies...and lots of them in some cases.
I'm not sure how I'd cope living there, their bites drive me mad if I haven't protected myself properly. And making sure you protect yourself properly every eve is such a PITA!!
Not a problem if you're not allergic though. My wife's very lucky and they do not affect her.

I assume West Coast of Canada would be cold diving as well? (Might be better than Denmark though;-)) How is the diving? Viz? What can you see?

I and my then 5 yr old kiddo had a huge blast hitchhiking and camping everywhere along the Northern West coast of the country for two weeks straight.
I meant EAST coast, down to Green island. Local diving cant be compared with Indonesia, but everything else about makes up for it.

This is a good point. And although in many parts of SE Asia, particularly in the more populated areas, diseases like malaria are no longer an issue, they still have damn mozzies...and lots of them in some cases.
I'm not sure how I'd cope living there, their bites drive me mad if I haven't protected myself properly. And making sure you protect yourself properly every eve is such a PITA!!
Not a problem if you're not allergic though. My wife's very lucky and they do not affect her.

My husband is not allergic to mosquito bites but I have nasty reactions, that is definitely a factor to take into consideration f you are strongly affected by them.

When I retired we considered a number of places in the world. Ended up in Victoria BC Canada. Moved there from Vancouver because the weather is significantly better and house prices are significantly lower. But as a place to live the west coast of Canada is hard to beat.

Vancouver would be ideal with a couple of drawbacks. First housing is ridiculously expensive compared to just about everywhere in the world. NYC, Sidney and a few other places are more but there are very few places that are as expensive to live. We are selling a two bedroom 1,000 square foot condo in downtown Vancouver at the moment, ask is $750,000 CAD. This is mid to lower range for that size. A few years old and could use some updates. Detached house is $1,000,000 plus for entry level. Prices go down as you move out of the city but so does the attractiveness of the commute.

Second, while there is an international airport with direct flights to just about anywhere you want to get to, nothing is close by. Seattle is close by air and surface but after that you are looking at significant travel times to get anywhere. Not as bad as Australia, but... If you are used to European travel times you will be surprised at how long it takes to get anywhere.

The cold water diving nearby is world class. Arguably the best in the world is a few hours away on northern Vancouver Island (Browning Pass). I occasionally see divers out my front window. However, the diving in and near to Vancouver is not as good. Vancouver is on a river delta so you need to get off the delta to find anything worth doing anything but skills refreshing. Get out of town and it is much better. A minor drawback but there. Local Victoria diving is MUCH better.

Access to warm water diving is reasonable. There are direct flights to Manilla, about a 10 hour flight as I recall. Indonesia is two flights. Vancouver to one of the hub cities (Hong Kong, Beijing, Tokyo, Taipei) and then a second flight to Jakarta or Bali. Caribbean is slightly closer.

Vancouver is a fairly large city with all the amenities you would expect. It has excellent health care with a university research hospital (UBC) nearby and other world class health facilities also nearby. Education is also pretty much as good as it gets. Both public schools and private are accessible and very good. Two world class Universities are in the city. UBC and Simon Fraser. UBC has a medical school and law school attached and has a pretty good reputation in a number of disciplines. (Full disclosure I did research and taught at the UBC faculty of law for a few years.)

There are three ski hills that you can see from downtown, and Whistler/Blackcomb is a couple of hours away. Hiking, fishing, boating, pretty much any outdoor activity you might want is nearby. Vancouver is on the ocean at the foot of a range of mountains at the mouth of a large river so everything outdoors is nearby.

Vancouver is a multicultural city with several significant Asian communities. Walking the streets of downtown you will hear many languages. Restaurants serving the cuisine of many cultures of the world are available. Safe as it gets - while we are near the US the gun culture rarely crosses the border. I don't know anyone on this side of the border that owns anything but a hunting rifle - and those who do are hunters.

...My husband would be traveling (a lot) to SE Asia, US, South America and Australia.

That's a huge area to cover! It's seems that no matter where you settle he will be spending a lot of time in airports and on planes. If you could narrow it down - try to figure out the likely destinations that he would be traveling to most frequently - that would help in making a decision.

Maybe you could settle in Denmark for a year and see how the job shakes out, and then make the decision.

Maybe you could settle in Denmark for a year...
The beauty of the EU is that the whole region is essentially your home country. Weather, food and price-wise, it's tough to compete with Mediterranean (incl. Adriatic) Europe.

Edited to reply to poster's question

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom