Review Seaskin Nova drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

54B2ABA3-E886-4A9B-8836-DBB0D65BC339.jpeg
Here is the Nova in action yesterday.

Not a drop seems to be getting in so far.

If you get the suit with the SiTech inflator and hose, and remove the hose protector, you will find that the flange on the hose is very sharp, unlike my wing inflator hose. I put an O ring onto the hose and right next to the sharp bit where the rubber meets the metal (you can make it out in the pic) to protect the suit from abrasion. Stays in place and solves this unexpected problem.

Re your mushroom discussion, I can usually hold it for a couple of hours so am not missing it (yet), but it is sure fun to use the convenience zipper with a couple of undergarment layers. But it gets the job done and even on a 30C day, as long as the suit is still wet, I can stay in the suit without discomfort during the SI. I prefer dealing with the little convenience zipper over peeling out of the suit entirely.

G'day,

About to order my first drysuit and based on my instructors' recommendation, looking at Seaskin.

Thanks for all the advise and feedback a while back!

I got the suit a month or so ago and finally got to try it out last weekend! It's a tad more bother than a wetsuit, but, OMG!, so warm! :) Definitely nice to be (mostly) dry after the dive when it's cold out! Loving it!

Fit is pretty good, and looks great. Can get in and out by myself (yayy). The inflator valve hurts like hell though (buddy said she always ends up with a bruise from her (not Seaskin) drysuit valves as well), so not sure if this is "normal" or if I'm doing something wrong (first time diving drysuit). Once underwater and sorted out with a touch of air in the suit it's fine, but while gearing up and getting underwater it's an issue. Only wearing very thin undergarments as it's still warm-ish.

Arms ended up damp up to the elbows (after 2x 50min dives), otherwise no leaks and, apart from some condensation, perfectly dry. I've fairly hairy arms so wondering if water might be wicking in through the hairs?

Looking forward now to enjoy the rest of the winter season here!

73460597_2447313192255453_6168456391569702912_n.jpg

I have been watching this thread with a lot of interest, as I am looking for a new suit. Thanks to all for the information.

In regards to wet lower arms. When you close your hands, do you have pronounced peaks and valleys on the inside of your wrists? That has been the cause of some water intrusion in both of my suits.

DW

In regards to wet lower arms. When you close your hands, do you have pronounced peaks and valleys on the inside of your wrists? That has been the cause of some water intrusion in both of my suits.
Some, but not significant, no. I read about that (tendons standing out etc). The silicone seals seem to press quite well against my wrists regardless of what I do with my hands, but, of course, it probably doesn't take much. Hence the question about hair.

I found "Bio Seals" online which might help - it's a super-soft "tube" which you put on first (neck and/or wrists) which seals better against your skin, then the drysuit seals sit on that.

But I'll see how I go in 2 weeks - I'll be diving with some other people in drysuits with silicone seals so maybe I can pick up some hints and tips then.

Some, but not significant, no. I read about that (tendons standing out etc). The silicone seals seem to press quite well against my wrists regardless of what I do with my hands, but, of course, it probably doesn't take much. Hence the question about hair.

I found "Bio Seals" online which might help - it's a super-soft "tube" which you put on first (neck and/or wrists) which seals better against your skin, then the drysuit seals sit on that.

But I'll see how I go in 2 weeks - I'll be diving with some other people in drysuits with silicone seals so maybe I can pick up some hints and tips then.

Yes, very well could be hair. I have been debating silicone seals, and have seen the Bio Seals. Interesting.

DW

@mwerle

I have an inflator comfort patch fitted as an option, which is essentially a thick neoprene patch velcroed to the inside of the suit against the valve. You should retrofit one of those and it more than likely will solve your issue. I can’t feel mine at all despite thin undergarments.

Thanks for all the advise and feedback a while back!

I got the suit a month or so ago and finally got to try it out last weekend! It's a tad more bother than a wetsuit, but, OMG!, so warm! :) Definitely nice to be (mostly) dry after the dive when it's cold out! Loving it!

Fit is pretty good, and looks great. Can get in and out by myself (yayy). The inflator valve hurts like hell though (buddy said she always ends up with a bruise from her (not Seaskin) drysuit valves as well), so not sure if this is "normal" or if I'm doing something wrong (first time diving drysuit). Once underwater and sorted out with a touch of air in the suit it's fine, but while gearing up and getting underwater it's an issue. Only wearing very thin undergarments as it's still warm-ish.

Arms ended up damp up to the elbows (after 2x 50min dives), otherwise no leaks and, apart from some condensation, perfectly dry. I've fairly hairy arms so wondering if water might be wicking in through the hairs?

I have the comfort patch under the inflator on all my drysuits. Never had any discomfort from the inflator. But, if you are allowing the suit to develop more squeeze than I do, that might contribute to some discomfort there.

From everything you said, the damp arms sounds more likely to be a leak than hair. I'm a pretty hairy guy and I don't get water wicking in like that.

What rings did you get? You might consider disassembling both wrists and making sure all the O-rings are lightly lubed with silicone grease, then put them back together. Check the silicone seals themselves carefully, for any small tears, while you're doing it.

From everything you said, the damp arms sounds more likely to be a leak than hair.

The only weird thing is that it sounds like it happened on both arms? How does the seal sit when you stretch out your arm?

If you look at my picture a few posts back, and compare it to your picture, notice how my cuffs sit a lot further up my arm than yours (my whole hand is free but yours almost sits over your thumb on the arm that is facing down). Maybe this means that your suit arms are slightly long, so that the seal is not pulled backwards enough to create a larger contact patch?

I am not hairy but have toned forearms that worried me before getting the suit as I can create some good channels when making a fist, but not a drop ventured in.

Edit: added a pic of what I mean
Screen Shot 2019-11-22 at 6.18.33 pm.png

Has anyone opted for the ultra, the neoprene suit, instead of the nova?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom