Obsolete o-ring dilemma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cageybob

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a slightly older housing from Fisheye Fix (S100) and no one has replacement o-rings for it. The one I have is ok for now, however I always want to have a spare, just in case. Any suggestions on getting a replacement o-ring? Any shops make o-rings to order, by sending in an old one? (think I still have the one I replaced that had a very slight leak).

odds are you have shops that make o-rings within 10 miles of your house. Look for places called "industrial rubber and gasket" or similar. They'll usually make custom o-rings for you while you wait. Check to see if it is an actual o-ring, or an O-seal. An o-ring will have a single seam and it has just taken it's shape to the housing. In that case, it is either going to be a standard off the shelf o-ring, just have to measure and grab some on amazon, or you can get a custom length one made for a couple bucks at the seal shop mentioned above if doesn't align right. If it is an o-seal which is basically an o-ring, but has multiple seams to change directions, then you'll have to get the shop to make it. In either instance, I would take the housing for a dive on it's own if you don't have a vacuum port, just in case

A lot of orings are usually off the shelf components....of you can measure the cross sectional diameter of the rubber, and the outside diameter of the oring, you can usually find a replacement.

or you can buy a “make a oring” kit which is just a long length of rubber that you cut to size and glue the ends together....not a hard process

If you have the old one I’m sure your local
Plumbing Supply store has one.

able o rings in Toronto can get any oring made in the world

I would ask Fisheye for the dimensions and once you have them it will be easy. It is not trivial to measure o-rings well (wall thickness is pretty easy) but getting the diameter is tougher (you could cut it and measure the length and divide by pi) but measuring the diameter without cutting is non trivial
Bill

If Fisheye will give you the dimensions, that's easy. Otherwise, if it's round in cross section and circumference, just measure the cross-section carefully with a micrometer - you want only a slight drag passing it through the jaws - then look up the options on SAE, British, and metric o-ring charts which are typically organized by cross-section. It should be obvious which standard cross-sections are the match for yours. Using a string to mimic the circumference, or a spherical surface to force the o-ring into shape for caliper measurement, you can get a decent estimate of ID to match against the charts. Or cut an old one. For $15 you can order a half dozen of the closest alternatives online if need be. O-rings aren't manufactured to particularly high tolerances, and a close match for a large o-ring should work fine. Depth testing without the camera is good advice.

Have you tried Reef Photo? They have overhauled my FIX S90 housing several times as recently as last January.

I might have an O-ring or several but you might have to sweet talk me.

Nem

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom