Island time? Why do we accept this excuse?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Island time? Why do we accept this excuse?

Because....we're on an island?

Someone has to say it. Hey you kids, get off my lawn/restaurant!

As for the "noise" and music, I recall reading that some restaurants actually tune their acoustics (and music, if any) to achieve a particular sound level that has been found to maximize profit.

As for the "noise" and music, I recall reading that some restaurants actually tune their acoustics (and music, if any) to achieve a particular sound level that has been found to maximize profit.

Maybe the patrons drink too much to try and dull the pain and that increases the profits!

Not only an island thing.. lived in French Guiana for a will, same thing... however I do think it is cultural and I learnt to live with it (even took some of it by then end :wink: )

Yeah, see how the demeanor of Dutch people change when they find out you're half Dutch and were born in Holland.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if the service changed noticeably with that knowledge...
Could probably substitute virtually any local population vs obvious tourist/visitor and see the difference in the average restaurant.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if the service changed noticeably with that knowledge...
Could probably substitute virtually any local population vs obvious tourist/visitor and see the difference in the average restaurant.

When I lived in Portland, OR, one of my friends flew into town. We went to a Greek restaurant, and the owner said "two?" and immediately turned to take us to a table towards the back.

I responded in Greek "Nai, dyo" ("yes, two") and he turned around to take us to one of the best tables.

My friend had a good laugh about it. I agree, common/different backgrounds often makes a difference in quality of service, good and bad.

If I can't have a conversation with the people at the table I won't enjoy the experience. I'm good with loud music if it's a place to dance. I've gone to see bands where the paint chips are coming off of the ceiling due to the decibel level. Atmosphere should fit the intended purpose of the visit. Most people don't relax in a high noise environment.

Don't move to Italy.
Lived in a coastal town north of Pisa for four years.
Two stories:
* Toilet failed, called a plumber. Said he could be there in 4 days. I expressed dismay at the delay. He explained that the Italians lived for 2000 years without toilets. Surely I could wait four days.
* Needed a repair on a pair of shoes to go on a business trip Saturday. Took them into the cobbler on Monday before; he promised them back to me Friday. I go in Friday to pick them up; they are not ready. I said, "You knew all along they wouldn't be ready today, didn't you?" "Yes," he smiled, "but this way you were happy for four days, and you aren't going to get them any later than you would have if I'd told you they would be next week."

It's weed; it's all weed . . .

Years ago, there was a guy on a dive boat out of Nassau, smoking a spliff, the diameter of PVC pipe; that, and doing nitrox and air-fills . . .

Back
Top Bottom