Re-purposed condemned SCUBA tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I turned one into a lamp. A friend with more skill and better tools drilled a hole through the j-valve to run the cord. I drilled a hole in the side for the plug side of the cord.

I'm now collecting stickers at places I dive and putting them on the tank.

My wife banned this fine lamp from the house, so it's in my office at work.

My wife banned this fine lamp from the house, so it's in my office at work.

My fiancee won't let me put this yellow cylinder with minion eye and mouth sticker in the baby room.

Not everyone has good taste! :wink::wink::eek::poke::yeahbaby:

@Nathan Doty
All of mine were cut with a huge commercial band saw
at Kirby Morgan UW systems...Kept it in the family

@Seaweed Doc
My wife has been a diver for about 50 years . She was a Community College President -- to relieve stress she enrolled in welding classes and began producing SCUBA tank bells as class projects which she via various heat treatments etc, created items of unique and interesting diving décor We have a large 70 bell in the entry and three smaller ones in a very large living room..
SOOOOO Have the wife take up welding and making SCUBA bells...

Some time ago a young diver came by for help on rigging a spear gun
He walked the house and in his eyes enlarged and he stated
"So this is what real divers homes look like !!"

Good Luck
SAM

Doesn't she feel she's limiting the baby's potential? I bet when the baby is a teenager, that teen will want the SCUBA lamp....

Yes, that is a problem! Mom isn't thrilled about the idea of me cutting down the mouth piece to our daughter's size for dive sessions in the bathtub!

My fiancee has agreed to have an aquatic theme. Fortunately, I have found a person in Canada (her sister is a diver) that does custom jobs (she can be reached at watermarkdecals@gmail.com for anyone interested). We have a baby blanket with an octopus, whale, turtle, and crab. I think after the baby is born, I'll just sneak the cylinder in there and just blame the dog.

But back to the topic at hand. My current project with condemned scuba tanks is to get enough to paint a dive flag across with these mounted to a base. I think I need 2 more. I should contact the shop that does hydros to see if they have any that they throw out for customers.

@wetb4igetinthewater
Yes! check the dive shop and hydro shop for scrap tanks
old SCUBA tanks are dead pelicans to some golden treasures to others.

re dive flag
So many divers think any ole white stripe diagonally across a red back ground constitutes a divers flag.
Not so ! FYI
The red & white divers flag was created by a two sentence comment in the September 1957 edition of Skin Diver magazine (SDM) by the late Ted Nixon suggesting a flag to ID diving activities.
After 3 years of national and international exchange of ideas via SDM it was determined in 1960 that the flag should have the following proportions in units
~~~~ 5 units wide X 4 units high X a one unit diagonal white stripe ~~~~
(later changed to also to include a square format for ease of manufacture)
Any thing else is just a rag and has no legal value as a representation of diving activity

Therefore ole bean when you begin your painting consider the above and all the many man hours of effort to create and have the red & white dive flag accepted by the public as a representation of diving

A big congratulations to you and mom on a new member of the family !
When the time comes for a "dive in the bath Tub" - lets chat -- been there done that !
Take care,

SAM

Yes! check the dive shop and hydro shop for scrap tanks
old SCUBA tanks are dead pelicans to some golden treasures to others.

HAHAHAHHAHAA!!!! I am stealing the term for "dead pelicans" in the future! Thanks for the laugh Mr. Miller! Great way to start my day as I drink my coffee.

~~~~ 5 units wide X 4 units high X a one unit diagonal white stripe ~~~~

Yes, I have researched the dimensions. I also plan on making my own sign with a dive flag and "Kosta's Dive Shop". Everything will have the right dimensions. The material for the white strip will be crushed oyster shells collected from my family's beach house along the Hood Canal. The red will be from red tile that I break up (I'll use white grout to have a cracked effect - unfortunately, there is nothing in nature that is that deeply red). The letters will be formed using mussel shells from the same beach. I'll then coat it over with clear epoxy resin. I'll do some small single prototypes to get the process down before I do my double sided version that will hang outside the shop.

I need to take measurements of the cylinders I have. I think about 5 will be about right, but I'll see later. I have a number of cylinders that need hydro, and when they all do, I'll take them in. I'll call ahead to see if I can get condemned cylinders. Cylinders just have so many uses., it's a shame to let them get melted down.

A big congratulations to you and mom on a new member of the family !
When the time comes for a "dive in the bath Tub" - lets chat -- been there done that !

Thank you and will do!

Greetings,

This thread has been an interesting read!

Awhile back, someone showed me a set of DIY plans he had downloaded that showed how to convert a scuba tank into a "refrigerator." I recall part of the process involved heating the cylinder in a campfire or similar to charge it. The end result was the formation of a large ice ball around the cylinder, which could then be used in a chilly bin to chill whatever. I don't know if the plans were free, ir if they were behind a pay wall. Has anyone heard of this, and can you direct me to those plans? Thanks!

Greetings,

This thread has been an interesting read!

Awhile back, someone showed me a set of DIY plans he had downloaded that showed how to convert a scuba tank into a "refrigerator." I recall part of the process involved heating the cylinder in a campfire or similar to charge it. The end result was the formation of a large ice ball around the cylinder, which could then be used in a chilly bin to chill whatever. I don't know if the plans were free, ir if they were behind a pay wall. Has anyone heard of this, and can you direct me to those plans? Thanks!
He puts a tank in a fire... Which makes an ice ball form... I can't say I've heard of that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom