Florida Great White

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Moses, moses - and I'm headed to Key Largo to dive this afternoon. Hope I'm lucky and don't see that mama.

I imagine that great white is swimming off the coast most of the time. We only know about the tagged ones.

Pretty much. I recall back in 2015 researchers checked a VR2 acoustic monitor just off Palm Beach Inlet and found pings from no less than three tagged white sharks (and the monitors only have a range of 500 meters, so the sharks got at least that close). Two were just swim-throughs, but one camped out in the area for three months. Don't remember anyone sighting a white that close to the inlet in that timeframe.

According to ocearch, there's 5 tagged whites off the coast of our state. That probably means 500 untagged ones imo.

According to ocearch, there's 5 tagged whites off the coast of our state. That probably means 500 untagged ones imo.

Well, not all of those are recent - at least one of those sharks last surfaced on February 18.

In any case, the two recent ones I saw both popped up in the Gulf northwest of the Dry Tortugas ... guess even the white sharks know to avoid the Fantasy Fest mayhem.

On a single 60 hook set soaked half a day a friend on a research cruise caught 3 a few years ago. Most of the spearfisherman I know have seen at least one, and one has 4 different ones on gopro.
They are far more prevalent than previously believed.
I have seen them u/w 4 times, twice in Jax and twice in S Carolina. Not really cool when you are spearfishing and have dead and bleeding fish.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom