My new floatline isn’t going together as expected

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

STB

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My new floatline isn’t going together as expected
blue steel and tube.jpg

I have the Blue steel crabpot 900LB strength floating line size 3/16th thishttps://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071X7Y3X1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 is’nt fitting inside the rubber which is 1/4” inside diameter this rubber

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00507H8BW/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s03?ie=UTF8&psc=1

plan to use crabpot float buoy but may just attach to vessels dive platform.plan to chum and shoot at surface very close to vessel.

how long should the shock rubber be for float line if I can get by w/ 3’ maybe shove a coat hanger though rubber tape the cord to hanger then grease up the cord. STB

If you are determined to work with what you have, then you might consider using the braided rope (alone) as a floatline. It does not necessarily need to be elastic or contained within a different material.

On a commercially made floatline, a plastic exterior tubing is used and this is intended to prevent tangles, provide some buoyancy and also have some elasticity (since the internal cord is longer than the exterior tubing).

It looks like that rope will float and is thick enough that it will not be prone to tangles and will be thick enough to allow you to easily grip the line and haul in a large fish. You may want to install swivels at one or both ends to reduce the propensity for tangles etc.

I assume you are freediving, so you will want a floatline that is long enough that it will not be tugging on your gun (and messing up your aim) when you are shooting. So you probably want a floatline that is at least 50% longer than your depth, assuming you will be towing a float at the surface.

You'd probably be better off just telling Dano what you want and he could put a quality kit together for you. I love DIY, but not unless I can do it better or for substantially cheaper. This would be one of those situations.

Want to use bluesteel BS for long line of couple hundred feet and a trolling teaser trolled in prop. Wash.The plan is to have a big spool of BS used for both.

using spearpole rubber,how long of a shock rubber for the teaser, (a extra large Mylar squid w/ treble hook and belly stripe of bonita) and where should it be placed? I’m thinking shock rubber should be in middle of say 50’. It should be short enough to not have the potential to snap back just in case fish spits out the hook just after it stretches the line.

Basically the slings optimum stretch is to 3.4 times relaxed rubber. I’ll remember this rule. So 3’ rubber could hold 10’ of BS. Or please suggest teasers shock rubber.thanks for advice

Back
Top Bottom