Surfing + Diving in the same place?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Joel <°)))><

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
We are planning for a dive trip next summer. My wife and I are vacation divers, daughter (15) will get her OWD as part of that trip. HOWEVER, our son (17) does not enjoy diving enough but I know he'd love to go to a surf camp / school / safe beach for the whole week while we are diving.
Any place in the Caribbean or Central America that would accommodate both in the same vicinity? Ideally a resort with a surf school AND a dive center with a boat departing from there.
I know it's a lot to ask as usually surfing spots are avoided by divers and vice versa... But maybe this community knows some secrets.
TIA

My dive club founder and his wife did both in Costa Rica. She likes to surf more than dive. I've lost touch with them so can't ask where. They mentioned Tamarindo? once.

There's Diving at all of these:
Top Caribbean Surf Escapes for All Levels

One of my friends got her PADI certification in Barbados:

Barbados is a great surf and dive mix, I do both and can have a dawn surf, 2 dives and evening surf easily there

Costa Rica is a good shout but I think the best diving in the Pacific side is away from surf zones.

Bali is great but very crowded now however and surf and diving spots arent that close . Lombok may work as would nusa lemogonhan if you can surf to a good standard

Sri Lanka would work and if you have money to burn the Maldives would be great but surfing is very expensive and you would need to stay somewhere like lohufushi and buy some surfing permits when you book otherwise you will not get to surf

you could also look at lanazrote or other Canary Islands as all get decent swell and have reasonable diving

Santa Catalina and Coiba Island, Panama.

Oaxaca, Mexico. We were there in July and did both. Puerto Escondido to be exact. Some of the best surfing in the world. Decent-ish diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom