Hydroid Aquabreather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did someone actually lose consciousness in the pool at DEMA with this thing? Just heard that from someone...

Yep, just heard the same. I don't know if it's true.

But a CO2 blackout was a scenario I was ready for. When they pulled the helmet off the guy, it would have given me the opportunity to look inside the helmet and see the real story. While they administered first aid, I could have photographed the internals of this thing.. Unfortunately, it didn't happen at the 12 o'clock show that I saw.

I miss all the cool stuff.

Yep, just heard the same. I don't know if it's true.

But a CO2 blackout was a scenario I was ready for. When they pulled the helmet off the guy, it would have given me the opportunity to look inside the helmet and see the real story. While they administered first aid, I could have photographed the internals of this thing.. Unfortunately, it didn't happen at the 12 o'clock show that I saw.

I miss all the cool stuff.

Gotta say, it would take real cojones to demonstrate a piece of scuba gear at a major dive show, have someone pass out while diving it in 3 feet of water, and then take orders for the product!

Surely we would have heard more about something like that. There were a lot of people and a lot of cell phones. I think it's a terrible product, but I find it hard to believe that we'd only have a bit of hearsay if someone actually lost consciousness during a pool demo.

Surely we would have heard more about something like that. There were a lot of people and a lot of cell phones. I think it's a terrible product, but I find it hard to believe that we'd only have a bit of hearsay if someone actually lost consciousness during a pool demo.

You are probably right. Occam's razor.

Gotta say, it would take real cojones to demonstrate a piece of scuba gear at a major dive show, have someone pass out while diving it in 3 feet of water, and then take orders for the product!
Didn't Poseidon lose a couple of divers during a try-dive a few years back? They seem to be still going strong although they have serious money behind them.

But a try dive is someone with near zero experience trying something new. Problems there should be nothing more than lack of supervision or proper pre-dive instruction.
This is the manufacturer and the manufacturer's diver showing off the product. They should know what is happening and control it so they don't pass out. A few hundred people supervising as well.

If there was a problem they should have just gone for the BOV, or grabbed the bail out rig. Oh, I guess they didn't plan properly...
Maybe stand up in the 3 feet of water, take the rig off and take a breath of fresh air?

I am also a little suspect of the pass out rumor. Being DEMA was a week ago and today is the first anyone has heard of it? And no one happen to have crappy cell phone video of it? Unless it was a private demo that wasn't being filmed I find it a little hard to believe. But as soon as the first shaky cell phone video is linked that looks halfway right, I will believe it.

Didn't Poseidon lose a couple of divers during a try-dive a few years back? They seem to be still going strong although they have serious money behind them.
Richard Bufton died on a try dive in 2010. He died on the surface while not breathing from the unit, almost everyone involved believed it was a medical issue. However, some "people" were involved as expert witnesses so the verdict from the inquest came back "diving accident" although there was little to no evidence of that anywhere.

isn’t that essentially what just happened when they threw a ball bearing through a shatterproof window, then proceeded to take 150,000 orders for the cybertruck?

I agree with the rest, though. Surely we would’ve heard about it sooner than now, right?

isn’t that essentially what just happened when they threw a ball bearing through a shatterproof window, then proceeded to take 150,000 orders for the cybertruck?

I agree with the rest, though. Surely we would’ve heard about it sooner than now, right?

I haven't really kept track of the Cybertruck thing, but the windows aren't the key feature on a vehicle. Call that a "fail." Underwater life support gear failing to support life during a pool test is an "epic fail."

Back
Top Bottom