Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Randallr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all -
I’m planning a trip to Anilao in the spring, specifically for macro photography. We’ll be staying at Aiyanar, which sounds great, from the reviews here. Does anyone have specific thoughts on Aiyanar’s house reef as a photo and exploration site?

I’ve been spoiled by my frequent trips to Blue Heron Bridge in Florida. I know the marine life doesn’t compare in the least, but I love that it never gets deeper than 20’, and you can tool around for 2+ hours on a tank of air, just poking through rubble and finding fascinating things. I’m wondering whether Aiyanar’s house reef allows that kind of easy, leisurely discovery.

Hi all -
I’m planning a trip to Anilao in the spring, specifically for macro photography. We’ll be staying at Aiyanar, which sounds great, from the reviews here. Does anyone have specific thoughts on Aiyanar’s house reef as a photo and exploration site?

I’ve been spoiled by my frequent trips to Blue Heron Bridge in Florida. I know the marine life doesn’t compare in the least, but I love that it never gets deeper than 20’, and you can tool around for 2+ hours on a tank of air, just poking through rubble and finding fascinating things. I’m wondering whether Aiyanar’s house reef allows that kind of easy, leisurely discovery.
Good question. It is OK, but not super. A bit murky. Interesting critters, of course, but nothing like the sites the boats go to. I've done it twice, will be back in the Spring and probably do it again. One issue is they send a guy out to sit on the dock and watch your bubbles and help you into and out of the water. It is a better night dive than day dive, and even has some Mandarin fish available. I think, other than as a night dive, its best use is early in the trip to sort yourself and your gear out prior to a full day of diving.

I cannot help you regarding Aiyanar's house reef, but since you'll be in the area, you might want to check out Dive & Teek's house reef. They offer usage to non-guests for a small day use fee. It's close enough that it would be worth checking out.

Full disclosure: it's my regular Anilao site :wink:

Aiyanar's house reef is great for critters and yes we do have a mandarin fish dive. To the right though there is a wreck graveyard with a banca, a couple of speedboats a jetski and a helicopter. Max depth to the right is about 85 feet down a slope.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom