Re: Night Dive training requirements

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jet Dude

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am new to Scuba Diving and would like to Thank You Veteran’s for taking the time to help us New yo the Sport Divers with our questions. So Thank You in Advance. My question is I am going to Rainbow Reef in Florida to complete my advance open water and enriched air course training and from there I am Blessed enough to be able to go to Roatan for a week of diving. With that said our itinerary includes 1 night dive which I have purchased a beacon for my tank and a back up light . Do I need any type of night dive certification other than of course diving with a experienced night diver and Dive Master. Thank You as Always !!!!

Are you asking if you should have a "night dive" cert, or will you need to have one for the dive op to allow you to do the night dive?

Do you need one: no, unless the dive op that is taking you out is asking for one. But I've done night dives in a lot of places and have never been asked for a night dive cert card. The dive op in Roatan should take care of you.

Should you have one: that really depends on how comfortable you are with the idea of diving at night. I know some very experienced divers that have never dived at night... they just don't like the idea. I've had plenty of students that were hesitant, but tried it (and were fine with it) after I assured them I'd be right there with them.

So... if you can clear the psychological barrier (i.e. the "spooky" barrier) of diving at night, then no special "night dive" cert should be required. Hopefully Rainbow Reef (I did my IDC with them and have been diving with them since 2010!) will be able to include a night dive with your AOW course.

The thing about night diving: make sure you are aware of the special procedures! This essentially comes down to two things:

1. one of your hands will be occupied with a light, so you will have to figure out (in advance!) how you will communicate. Make sure this is covered completely in the dive briefing before the dive, and be sure to ask a lot of questions if you feel there are any details not covered.

2. Always be aware of where your light is pointing. By default, keep it pointing down. Too many newish divers on a night dive swing their lights around, completely clueless of the effect it has.

And a couple suggestions: in the Caribbean, you do not need (and really should not use) a big light. A medium sized light is more than enough. In fact, when I do night dives there (last one I did with RR was on the Benwood) I try to leave my light off whenever possible and just use the ambient light created by other divers, or the moon.

Have fun, dive safe!

Try and get a night dive as part of your AOW.
You don't need it, but it's nice to do before your first night dive "on your own."
Night diving has some tips and tricks...you'll get those as part of the AOW if they'll do it for you.

I have only night dived years ago when I took the course. Like any course, there are a few things that are academic and some that just need to be explained. I recall a bigee is how to handle your light--signaling procedures and how not to blind your buddy, how to use it if separated, when on the surface, exiting, etc.
Probably the most difficult thing would be keeping really close to your buddy because your light is your only way of seeing (I guess unless there is clear water and a full moon).
My guess is with tips from the DM and experienced diver you should be OK. My first course night dive was dive #35, for whatever that means.

Oh, one more thing: night diving plans should always be kept simple, for many (some obvious...) reasons. Simple plans usually means fewer places where something can go sideways, and responding to a problem on a night dive is inherently more complicated than during a day dive. So we keep it simple.

Which means night diving is all about just enjoying the scene, taking it easy, a lot of "you ok?" to your buddy and a lot of "yup, im ok" to your buddy.

However, occasionally being in the water at dark can be a little disorienting. The best way to avoid this is to be sure to keep visual reference on something, usually the reef or the bottom. If you feel yourself getting disoriented, remind yourself to relax, take a deep breath (and exhale, of course), shine your light downward, and find the reef.

Try not to shine the light in other people's eyes; be familiar with the place during the day; have fun . . .

With the exception of only being able to see what your torch beam lights up, night diving isn’t inherently more difficult that diving during the day.

Main things:
* be comfortable operating your equipment without having to look for the controls, you should be able to find everything from memory and touch.
* ensure your torch is clipped to you so you can let it go without losing it.
* practice shining your torch onto your hand for signals.
* stay off the bottom or you’ll get urchin spins in your legs etc.
* check you gas more often, you will breath more as the adrenaline is increased.
* most importantly: have fun.

Usually dive ops will take you to a site that is fairly shallow, you wont have to worry about watching your depth and your gas will last longer. My biggest challange at first was staying level at the safey stop. What I enjoy most about night dives, besides the animal live, is that you only focus on where your light shines.

We did a night dive for our AOW. We completed our AOW at Wazee Lake (black river falls, WI). I was a bit anxious about the dive, but once in the water, the diving seemed no different.

We did a night dive in Jamaica a few weeks ago, which was an even better experience since the water is so clear and there are things to see.

Personally, I see no need for the night diver c-card. Doing it as part of AOW will give you a chance to experience it before doing your trip.

With the exception of only being able to see what your torch beam lights up, night diving isn’t inherently more difficult that diving during the day.
I find many folks have buoyancy problems at night. It is surprising how much of your buoyancy control comes from visual clues and situational awareness, both of which are lacking at night.

Back
Top Bottom