Island time? Why do we accept this excuse?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just a convenient excuse for being lazy

Can't take the time to wade through all the posts. Simple answer - because that's the way it is. Don't like it, go somewhere else.

Question for you. As you are prewarned, why to you go somewhere you know is going to tick you off? Seems kind of dumb to me.

Can't take the time to wade through all the posts. Simple answer - because that's the way it is. Don't like it, go somewhere else.

Question for you. As you are prewarned, why to you go somewhere you know is going to tick you off? Seems kind of dumb to me.

Sorry, didn't have the time to read your whole post. Can you summarize for us?

If I ever get my hands on the designer that came up with the industrial look, I just hope the members of the jury have been in one. If I wanted echoes and noise, I wouldn't be going to a resturant.Bob

Yeah, post-industrial architecture just sucks, for many reasons.

Personally I'm more interested in friendly rather than speedy service. In most cases, good manners and a friendly, sympathetic attitude will be reciprocated.

For sure!

There's a fourth option. You can patronize places on the same island that give better service, and let the magic of capitalism do it's thing.

That's exactly what I do.

Nobody ever died waiting a few minutes for some under-paid person to fetch it or them.

I believe it was @chillyinCanada who bemoaned the US culture for tipping what he thought was high tip rates. I don't believe wait staff are necessarily under-paid. Great wait staff are paid well with tips. When you receive mediocre service in a restaurant, but got really good food, try giving a generous tip. Go back the next day and see if your service improves. Ask for the servers name and ask them about their life. Be nice. Get to know them.

Giving a good tip helps the wait staff have a better standard of living. If you have the money, spread it around. Don't wait for Justin to raise the minimum wage--solve the problem right then and there.

I have known some wealthy people. Others know they are wealthy. One of them was tip-shamed by a cancel-culture person. They replied that everyone here knows that I have money because the press reports on it. I am not going to give a 10% tip for someone who tries to do a good job. Some tip 100%. A 10 or 20 dollar tip would be viewed as a slap in the face because: "Coming from that person, ten dollars is 'chump-change'". You just can't win.

Try being nice and then give a really nice tip. Go back the next day and see if the service improves. The wait staff is not there to serve you out of the goodness of their heart, they are there for the money honey.

As @doctormike has alluded to, the free market works.

:cheers:
m

The "free market" works when all the components for a healthy market are in place. Lack of competition is one reason why refusing to patronize a particular restaurant and instead choosing to patronize "the one across the street" may not work. What Bonaire and other places that are seemingly on "island time" have in common is a relatively small supply of similar restaurants. If you want to eat X cuisine, at a place known for its excellent preparation of X, not too far from your lodging, greater than $ but less than $$$$, and so forth with the constraints, a particular establishment may be your only choice. On an island, barriers to a competitor starting up across the street are high.

I believe it was @chillyinCanada who bemoaned the US culture for tipping what she thought was high tip rates
FTFY.

There's two genders. Why do people assume only one gender?

Yeah, post-industrial architecture just sucks, for many reasons.

For sure!

That's exactly what I do.

I believe it was @chillyinCanada who bemoaned the US culture for tipping what he thought was high tip rates. I don't believe wait staff are necessarily under-paid. Great wait staff are paid well with tips. When you receive mediocre service in a restaurant, but got really good food, try giving a generous tip. Go back the next day and see if your service improves. Ask for the servers name and ask them about their life. Be nice. Get to know them.

Giving a good tip helps the wait staff have a better standard of living. If you have the money, spread it around. Don't wait for Justin to raise the minimum wage--solve the problem right then and there.

I have known some wealthy people. Others know they are wealthy. One of them was tip-shamed by a cancel-culture person. They replied that everyone here knows that I have money because the press reports on it. I am not going to give a 10% tip for someone who tries to do a good job. Some tip 100%. A 10 or 20 dollar tip would be viewed as a slap in the face because: "Coming from that person, ten dollars is 'chump-change'". You just can't win.

Try being nice and then give a really nice tip. Go back the next day and see if the service improves. The wait staff is not there to serve you out of the goodness of their heart, they are there for the money honey.

As @doctormike has alluded to, the free market works.

:cheers:
m

I've tried your theory a number of times. What works best is being friendly, kind and interested. Tips not so much oddly enough.

these days, more than two.
Two, three, more... Whatever someone says they are, it's all good to me. I have a happy life with my spouse, and I'm not going to deny anyone else the same. It's not my frikkin' business.

At this point I'm not sure how many. I'm glad I'm 73 and beyond all that.
I'm at less than that. So what? I'm happy, whatever makes you (general "you") happy it's ok as long as no-one gets hurt. All you need is love.

People are just people.
Let's agree about that.

FTFY.

There's two genders. Why do people assume only one gender?

Hi Storker,

Thanks for the correction. I did not assume. I have been communicating with @chillyinCanada for years now and I did not even think to check. She has good opinions and facts and I did not care if she was female or male. I hope we were communicating as human beings first.

Actually these days, more than two. At this point I'm not sure how many. I'm glad I'm 73 and beyond all that. lol People are just people.
Highlight added by MM.

Either way, I am sorry for the mistake.

markm

Back
Top Bottom