Back after surgery, too soon?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wedivebc

CCR Instructor Trainer
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I have been dealing with bad knees for a few years now but I finally have a new one. They both need to be done but my Dr won't do two at once. So the left one has been healing nice since October, I get in the pool 4 days a week plus regular physio as well as short bike rides every day. I am hoping for my next surgery around January but since it's been several months since I donned a drysuit I would really like to go for a couple of dives before January otherwise it will be April or May before the other side is good to go.
Has anyone here who has had total knee replacement have any thoughts as to when it is safe to go diving again? Unlike walking where I can just sit down if things go sideways, under water I still need to get back and get out under my own power.

My wife was told that it will take a full year for compete recovery from an upcoming knee operation. So it seems even getting into the pool puts you ahead of schedule.
I can't offer advice of course, but logic says it's all about the dive site. Entry/exit, inwater stuff like surf, surge, current.....vigorous kicking needed? At my age of 65 I gradually have eliminated sites that are just too much work to bother with.

I had a TKR and was diving in 33 days, there are less invasive techniques than the old slice and dice, look up dr Dearborn in the Fremont area in California

Any diver will help an injured/recovering diver haul his gear out of the water.

We do it alot. The diver inflates their gear or ties it off and climbs out easily with a helping hand. Then we go and pull his gear out and stow it. I don't know of anyone that wouldn't help an injured or recovering diver get back into the water. We also throw an inflated diver's gear overboard so they can put it on in the water which is much easier for them. I'll help anyone get in or out of their gear.

As long as yr wound is closed ( no infection entry risk ) and you have notified DAN or yr other insurer, cannot see a problem. Good physio!! K

30 days post op total left knee surgery I was diving. 34 days post op I did a full cave dive. Had to have a little help getting my left fin on though. My physical therapist had to look up what a “figure 4” was so that she could gear my rehab around it. That was 8 years ago, and last year had my right knee done. Same dive schedule for the second knee. If you breathe 32% nitrox at 98 feet, it’s called hyperbaric therapy and promotes healing. Oh, 3 weeks post op, I was swimming one mile laps at the Y.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom