SideMount Setup Fine Tuning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would only recommend Don for the Xdeep, which Andrew does not have.

Yes, I early recommended John Nunes, but then there can be issues of availability of John, Andrew's non diving responsibilities. Nothing wrong with asking questions (though Andrew, sign up for Steve Martin's videos and watch BEFORE you make the drive up I-5).

Pool availability is very difficult and expensive. Divers are not welcome at many pools.

@Andrew Dawson, if you get more heat, just head over to SM groups on FB.
There are other savy <available> instructors in BC mere meters across the border in Langley. I suggested one pages ago (she's a friend of mine) and I even know @Andrew Dawson was contacted. Gonna have to agree with @JohnnyC here, this is just dinking around to dink around at this point. If front clipping your butt light Al80 is task loading then go back to backmount or take a proper class so you have some muscle memory and actual knowledge instead of just what you think you're emulating on the internet. Taking an online course is just dumping $200 at about $500 worth of problems that need hands on fixing.

You are free to scroll past, rjack321.

Everyone agrees that SM takes work...people make mistakes...I can admit them :)

I did contact your buddy in Canada, very nice lady, and we will hook up if/when I can get up there. Thank you for the referral.

Bummer, some folks would rather put down those around them than build them up.

Scuba diving is a process of refinement...and I am working to do that...maybe others want to see that. If you don't, then don't comment, don't click on the thread, and/or unfollow :)

Best of luck. You've had several highly experienced sidemount divers that have offered help from the very beginning, yet you've chosen to ignore that advice and continue wandering through the woods until you hear the banjos.

That's not refinement.

If you've got the time to go sidemount poorly, you have the time to have someone show you how to do it correctly. Cuz this internet stuff ain't workin' if after 15 pages you still don't have any actual understanding. Let me guess, you're a PADI "tec diver....."

Regs up, handles out.

Left post should have 5th port going to your inflator, transmitter down the tank, bungee'd short host on the turret. Ditch the button SPG's. They fail on the regular and are generally a waste of money.

Right post should have 5th port going to your drysuit inflator, transmitter down the tank, long hose down through the tank straps, back up across your chest around your neck and in your mouth. Ditch the 90 on the long hose. It's unnecessary.

Bottom cam band straps should be the length from your armpit to your hip bones. Set them up by using the manifold crossbar port/burst disk stem. Take the length from your armpit to your hip bone and translate that to your tank. Put your lower bolt snap at that distance.

Ditch those lower d-rings on your harness. They're unnecessary and out of position. Your upper d-rings are in the right spot. Use those.

Use independent loop bungees. The loop stretches behind the valve and loops onto the manifold crossbar. Bolt snaps on loop bungees are only for keeping the loops in front for easy of donning and doffing. They should be disconnected while diving because they prevent the bungee from camming the tanks back and up. Better solution is to simply tie a small loop of bungee through the loop and around the harness webbing. It will slide up and down the webbing as necessary and won't prevent the loop bungee from doing its job. Length should be right around the distance you can pull and it reaches your nipples at full stretch. Have a buddy adjust these in the water if necessary.

If you want to clip a top boltsnap for the purposes of securing tanks above water, put a bolt snap around the valve on some cordage or some bungee. Once in the water, disconnect them.

Ditch the chest strap.

Take a sidemount course. It's cheap money compared to the frustration most people deal with trying to get their stuff sorted. It's not always intuitive, and you need proper feedback based on how you look in the water.

A supporter of your, JohnnyC, sent me a PM...and pointed out the above post. My sincere apologies...apparently, I mostly missed it, and it was not intentional. It is great info and I very much appreciate it :D

I can understand your frustration...tho...not the put downs. Some of the instructions, reading it further, I do not quite understand. I will try to re-read it, and apply it.

I met someone on FB who is offering to take me out this weekend on a free SM instructional dive [he took a course in Florida]. I will review this whole thread, take notes, apply the applicable wisdom, and circle back here as I see fit.

I appreciate all the comments, every one, even if they were harsh...there is info to be gleaned in all of them.

Excellent find, Kosta! Thank you :) I got some other support via SB members here as well...excellent work folks!!

So, I did go back and reread every single post...copying out the good stuff and compiling it in a document for studying. I have printed out manuals sent to me and set up a dive with a local SM guy who seems pretty experienced.

JohnnyC, I see that you have a lot of experience and excellent info...I have no answer as to why I did not pick up on your posts earlier, again my apologies...it was not intentional. You did not deserve my seeming to ignore your posts, they are very good!

I have plenty of information to make major adjustments and go test them out. I will end this thread at this point.

I appreciate everyone's input! Thank you all very much!!

Ok, I'm going out with a guy this Sunday...in prep to maximize their time as they are a cave diver trained in FL and they will help me fine tune in the water, here is what I got from all the suggestions here:
20191122_205706.jpg

I did loosen the right tank (the long hose) and tighten the left tank ( connected to BCD inflator). Yes, the pic is reversed as it was a selfie...pic was taken with my right hand.

I'm not happy with the 28" short hose as it usually gives me a big loop over my head, but the correct setup seems to help a bit...28" too long for most?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom