Question about DIN regs w/ adapters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hammet

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Thinking I might pick up a new regulator this year if I find any good black friday type deals. Would like to get a DIN but there are a few places I go which tanks are yoke style and I would need to bring along an adapter of course.

My question is does the yoke adapter along with the din first stage make the distance that the first stage extends from the tank valve too long? The BCs I use tend to have the 1st stage bonk me in the back of the head sometimes and I'm worried that too much metal up there will push the regulator into my head all the time.

That also would depend upon the orientation of the first stage and the hoses, relative to the yoke. I have some that attach vertically; and others, horizontally . . .

I have a din reg and find that using the adapter does tend to make it hit the back of my head. Raising the bcd on the tank helps some.
Also, some dive locations actually have din tanks that have been converted to yoke by means of an insert that screws into the tank valve. An appropriately sized Allen wrench will make it back into a din valve; just don’t lose the insert!

I have a din reg and find that using the adapter does tend to make it hit the back of my head. Raising the bcd on the tank helps some.
Also, some dive locations actually have din tanks that have been converted to yoke by means of an insert that screws into the tank valve. An appropriately sized Allen wrench will make it back into a din valve; just don’t lose the insert!

Yeah most of the boats in Florida that rent hp100 tanks for me are using DIN tank valves and the poor deck crew are always looking for the fittings or the correct allen wrench or orings to switch over.

Thinking I might pick up a new regulator this year if I find any good black friday type deals. Would like to get a DIN but there are a few places I go which tanks are yoke style and I would need to bring along an adapter of course.

My question is does the yoke adapter along with the din first stage make the distance that the first stage extends from the tank valve too long? The BCs I use tend to have the 1st stage bonk me in the back of the head sometimes and I'm worried that too much metal up there will push the regulator into my head all the time.

great sale

Deep 6 Scribble 1st + 2nd and Hose

I have a DIN reg with yoke adapter for the times I can't dive DIN. The adapter pushes the stage out quite a bit and unless I raise my tank to a good height, I get bonked quite frequently. If you don't want to or can't raise your tank height, you can also dive so your tank is slightly tilted to keep the first stage and tank valve on one side of your head. The tank is a little clumsy but it's not hard to get used to. If you need to look at the other side, just readjust so the valve is on the other side.

if you are already having issues with the first stage hitting you, the yoke adapter will certainly make it quite uncomfortable for you IMO

Yeah, ideally you'd just get the Non-Adapter yoke part and switch them as necessary. I THINK my zeagle 1st stages came with both, or maybe I just bought one.

At Anthony’s Key there were 2 different sizes. 1/4” and 8mm, I think. Typically the dive op will have the right size hex keys available.

Back
Top Bottom