Cozumel makes "No" List for 2020

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You were "we" with Aldora when you did that. You still are, IMO.

Who is he and he is she and Doug is a fish. Someone please figure this out.

Aldora did the same thing Christi, some years ago. We (oops they) did make exceptions for divers we/they knew well who were forced on a cruise by family pressure. But unknown cruisers…no way.

Primarily it was to keep weenie divers from ruining the experience of our regular divers.

Dave Dillehay

Yes, I was only taking those that are established customers forced onto a family cruise or if there were 4 or more so I could put them on their own boat, but not even willing to do that anymore. 9 times out of 10 they are problematic and they wreak havoc on the schedule as well. And final reason is that as I said, I don't want to engage in any activity that promotes or supports the cruise ships or the assengers that support them - cruise ships have created devastation on many levels to the island

Found this on a science news website. Looks like they found the cause of the blight. The article said that divers should “avoid peeing in the water in heavily touristed reef areas. When you pee in the water, and everyone else does too, it increases the amount of nitrates and ammonia, affecting pH levels near you, and could make corals more susceptible to disease. Don’t pee in the water.”

I guess Cozumel qualifies as a “touristed” area. Maybe they could put up signs saying “We don’t swim in your toilet; please don’t pee in our ocean.”

Found this on a science news website. Looks like they found the cause of the blight. The article said that divers should “avoid peeing in the water in heavily touristed reef areas. When you pee in the water, and everyone else does too, it increases the amount of nitrates and ammonia, affecting pH levels near you, and could make corals more susceptible to disease. Don’t pee in the water.”

I guess Cozumel qualifies as a “touristed” area. Maybe they could put up signs saying “We don’t swim in your toilet; please don’t pee in our ocean.”

Which science website?

Which science website?

Sciencefriday.com

Never visited the site before, just stumbled onto it and thought their observation was funny, Should have put "science" in quotation marks.

It's hard to believe that stopping peeing in the ocean is the cure. I would imagine that nitrates, ammonia, and pH are much more affected by other sources, like run off from the land.

Right. Agree. Sometimes my sarcasm gets taken as a serious statement on this board. I will try better next time!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom