I need to repair my Datamask...Any help?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I went to Aruba with my newly purchased Oceanic datamask(with no warranty. Don't worry about kicking me, I'm still kicking myself) and after the fourth dive it malfunctioned. I noticed little bubbles behind the LCD screen, then the glitches, and finally it went out. Good thing I had my Descent MK1 as back up. I opened it up and dried it out as best I can while contacting Oceanic. No luck with them. Does anyone know where I can send this datamask for repairs?

Mine died earlier this year. I've had no luck finding third party repair services.

Hi @IronheadLee

Unfortunately for you, Oceanic moved the DataMask to obsolete status some time ago and no longer offers service/replacement through Huish. Oceanic does have a trade in program that gives you 20% off another Oceanic product Trade-In. That's better than nothing for your DataMask, assuming you would want another Oceanic product. Since you have a working transmitter, you could buy an OCi without transmitter and have an AI backup for your Garmin. Going by list price, that would cost you about $560

Or....you could use your transmitter with a Teric or Perdix and have an AI running the same algorithm as your Garmin. That would cost you about twice as much, $1095 or $935 respectively, but then you would have a Shearwater :).

IronheadLee, no hopes with your Datamask. Once seawater gets in contact with the electronics is damaged beyond repair.

Dmcutter, can you describe the exact problem with your Datamask? We might be able to help (unless it was also flooded).

Mine did not get flooded. I was doing the first dive of the day and it showed low battery, then the display froze up at 1450 psi or something like that. When I put in a new battery, then entire LCD screen was populated and wouldn't respond to any button pushes, immersion, tank pressure, or any other input. I'd be eternally grateful, or at least way stoked if you knew how to get that unscrewed.
Thanks

dmcutter, from your description of how events unfolded I am afraid your Datamask electronics are kaput or, more likely, its firmware got corrupted. I'd go with the corrupt firmware guess because it is responding in an erratic way (lightning up the whole display). Last-ditch attempt: Remove the battery, measure its voltage and, if correct, first short circuit for a few seconds the battery terminals in the Datamask (not on the battery itself). Afterwards reinstall the battery and see what happens.

dmcutter, first remove the battery and then connect for a few seconds the "+" and "-" terminals in your Datamask battery compartment. To do this, peel off the two ends of a short cable and use the cable to simultaneously touch the "+" and "-" terminals in your Datamask.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom