Entangled Loose SPG

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unfortunately I can't guess my depth with any accuracy.
A wrist unit even if its an analog depth gauge is necessary, so you might as well just add the little near zero drag and weight transmitter and get everything.
I also have a compass on my wrist, but then VIS sucks in the north a fair bit of the time. Northern divers should have instrument ratings like pilots to dive here.

Unfortunately I can't guess my depth with any accuracy.
A wrist unit even if its an analog depth gauge is necessary, so you might as well just add the little near zero drag and weight transmitter and get everything.
I also have a compass on my wrist, but then VIS sucks in the north a fair bit of the time. Northern divers should have instrument ratings like pilots to dive here.
You're correct, of course, but for my diving at High Rocks in the Clackamas River, the deepest hole is about 24 feet deep. If I was diving an unknown area, or deeper place, then of course a depth gauge is necessary. I also always dive my Seiko dive watch.

SeaRat

I’m definitely no expert but what kind of diver hovers over the top of a huge clam with kit dangling down and banging into things?

And he’s a coral restoration diver?

I’m having trouble putting this all together.

I’m sure the guy is an upstanding and affable person but this seems like a real cocktail of inattentiveness and incompetence.

This would be so humiliating I think I’d have to seek out some kind of dive priest to confess and atone for my sin.

I’m sure the clam wasn’t very happy about it, either.

this whole incident was staged - and in an aquarium so there's that

You made me read through all of the comments to Coral Reef CPR FaceBook post and found this comment by Hubert Pinto de Kraus.

image.jpeg

this whole incident was staged - and in an aquarium so there's that

I’ll have to admit I feel a little gullible.

His buddy had loose SPG too. Although it has a bolt snap attached his SPG, it seems dangling and has a brass double ender (not clear on the picture) dangling at the end of the SPG. The Giant Clam would also be able to clamp on his SPG, including the double ender that way.

image.png

image.jpeg

What was the point?

What was the point?

Keep your gear closed to you, not dangling & leading to rub against the coral when you are that close to the coral.

What is that hanging at the end of his SPG?

1349B7A6-21CE-4DEC-AD84-1507D7453EA7.jpeg

Of course, we should all know that and be doing it. However, these folks didn't make their point. They only related it as an amusing story.

To me, rather pointless and made them look foolish.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom