Maui dive op & site suggestions for middle of March

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maui has so many fantastic dive operations that you'll have many choices. In my humble opinion I will say that you 100% can't go wrong with Mike Severn's diving out of Kihei. Pauline is nothing short of fantastic as a dive guide. I've ben diving professionally here for 20 years and I make a trip to Maui every year just to dive with Pauline and her staff. I think they set the bar for dive operations in Hawaii. Andy is an amazing Captain with a great sense of humor and more importantly - vast expertise as seasoned skipper. Warren is an awesome DM as well with a fantastic eye for critters and thousands of dives in Maui waters. Again, you can't go wrong with them. I haven't personally dove with Ed Robinson's in several years but they have a top notch reputation as well. Even if you are staying in Lahaina or further up the coast - the drive to Kihei is worth it. At that hour of the morning it's actually a nice drive. The shore diving is also CRAZY great at many locations. Makena Landing and Mala Wharf are two of the best shore dives in Hawaii.

If you would like to send me any personal messages I can certainly give you more specifics. Maui has AWESOME diving and I hope you have a wonderful experience. I'm sure you will get many more replies from the great SB community on Maui diving.

Cheers and Happy Holidays
A

Spouse doesn't dive, may try for a snorkeling trip or two, boat or shore diving is fine, but thinking it will be easier to use a dive operator. Accommodation will be made to work with dive op selected.

Thank you for your replies.

Although Ed Robinson’s is out of business, I would say that if you can get on Ed’s old boat (ProDiver III) with ProDiver, you’ll have the same experience you would have had he still been in business. Joe, Dave, and Dave will take good care of you like they always have. I recommend that boat highly.

Although Ed Robinson’s is out of business, I would say that if you can get on Ed’s old boat (ProDiver III) with ProDiver, you’ll have the same experience you would have had he still been in business. Joe, Dave, and Dave will take good care of you like they always have. I recommend that boat highly.

Ed is out of business? I just checked, the website is still up. That would be a shame.

I dove out of Kihei with Ed Robinson's Dive Adventures January 2019, really great outfit. We kept asking to go back to Molokini back wall and dive different parts of it. Worked out and saw lots of sharks, frog fish, a whale shark, and humpback whales. Also numerous humpback sightings at the surface. The surface intervals and travel are essentially whale watching trips on Ed's boat.

We did shore diving by renting gear from Maui Dreams. Makalawena beach was an easy dive that we saw Mantas at several days. Mala Pier and Makena Landing were also nice.

If you are able, I prefer hammering Molokini by boat, those dives were more interesting to me personally.

Mike Severns in Kihei/Wailea. Extended Horizons in Lahaina.

Most of the boat dives leave early (6am) to beat the tradewinds coming back. Shark Condos iss obvious and more advance is theBackWall drift dives - the bottom is around 300' Should be joined by some reef sharks along he wall also.

For shore dives in Kihei Shaka Divers or Maui Dreams Dive Co. Either Extended Horizons or Tiny Bubbles in Lahaina/Kaanapali.

Everywhere is nice but we preferred the Wailea area - many properties front the ocean. There's either big resorts or condos but often on adjoining bays so you barely notice. The Kihei boats all leave from the Kihei ramp just a little north of town. Some boats also from Maalea - about a 15 nin drive. The Lahaina boats leave from Lahaina harbor mostly. Mala Wharf us rhe nust do shore dive near Lahaina. Generally the Lahaina boats go to Lanai - 1st/2nd Cathedrals are the famous dive. Sharkfin is more advanced, nice in the bay an e-ticket ride around the outside. The further west you go the more current. Some ops require AOW in that area,

Most of the Kihei/Wailea beaches are also shore dives. I like Wailea Beach but it's 5mins from condos we liked - Wailea Ekahi

Many of the Kihei condos in one area are actually across the street from the beach so look at the "view" photos on the websites.

It's roughly a 45 min drive between Lahaina and Kihei and the one road can be somewhat congested even b4 6am - local workers going to the big resorts in Kaanapali. - so allow an hour - more during Humpback season as you can see them from the road and people pull over to take pictures.

I am staying in Malaaea. Can you recommend a dive op that leaves from there? I was reading about a manta dive that leaves in the afternoon. I thought trade winds get stronger and most ops don't do afternoons. Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom