Need help the docking station of my drysuit zipper

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gary Shepard

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So I have my new Si-tech wrest and neck seals installed. Replaced the boots with neoprene socks. Some of the clear sealant that covered the zipper stitching was coming up so I removed and cleaned it up. I used T-Rex tape cut to 1 inch strip and sealed everything back up.

I used a gallon jug to seal the neck and spray can caps to seal the wrist. I aired the suit up like a ball and have a very small leak at the docking stations of the zipper. I cleaned it well and can't see anything. I'm new to a dry suit but the zipper looks fine. Compared to pics of heavy duty zippers, it looks the same.

The suit is an older Whites commercial grade. It came from a fire department and was made in 01. I don't think it was used much. The boots had almost no ware on the bottom and no ware on the knees.

So with all that said are there any ideas how to fix it besides sending it in?

Has it leaked on you at all in use? An 18 year old suit, even lightly used, may have degraded seals and tape. It may need an overhaul.

You might try doing the leak test inside-out. Remove and flip the inflation value and do it that way. This way the suit & zipper are pressurized as they would be underwater. It may not make a difference but its a more realistic test.

Thanks davehicks, I looked it over again and found a thread sticking out on the inside of the zipper. I clipped it off. I also found a spot on the overlap seam right by the stop piece. I cleaned the area well and sealed with aqua seal. I'll check it again once cured.

If that doesn't get it I'll defiantly try inside out.

I have never used the suit so I'm trying to have it ready. I have a couple more weeks of healing from shoulder surgery and I hope to put it to use.

Ok, the leak is the zipper. Its leaking at the brass piece. I used paraffin wax to lube the zipper with. My thought is something a little softer that I could put a dab at the end of the zipper and zip over it.

I don't understand how the zipper seals at the very end. Unlike the rest I'm guessing the seal part of the zipper is sealing against the brass seeing the last couple of teeth can't come together?

Ok, the leak is the zipper. Its leaking at the brass piece. I used paraffin wax to lube the zipper with. My thought is something a little softer that I could put a dab at the end of the zipper and zip over it.

I don't understand how the zipper seals at the very end. Unlike the rest I'm guessing the seal part of the zipper is sealing against the brass seeing the last couple of teeth can't come together?

Sounds like your suit needs to be shipped to DRIS. Why don’t you give them a call and ask to talk to the drysuit repair folks? They’ll help.

That sucks. The zipper was the one part that made me antsy when I ordered my second hand suit, but I got lucky. I was hoping yours would be an easy fix.

Are you going to try and replace it yourself? If so, holler at me. I think I have access to an industrial sewing machine. I will verify that today.

DW

Sounds like your suit needs to be shipped to DRIS. Why don’t you give them a call and ask to talk to the drysuit repair folks? They’ll help.

I have called and they says send it in. I'm not ready to spend 300 plus shipping both ways to replace the zipper. Now if there is a way to fix this one, I'll try it if someone can tell me how.

That sucks. The zipper was the one part that made me antsy when I ordered my second hand suit, but I got lucky. I was hoping yours would be an easy fix.

Are you going to try and replace it yourself? If so, holler at me. I think I have access to an industrial sewing machine. I will verify that today.

Not yet. On a different board there are two ideas
1. Use goop, E6000 or aqua seal, put a thin layer on the inside of the zipper and bumper. Just put it on the area of the last couple teeth. Just trying to build that area up just enough to seal to the brass pull.
2. Use silicone grease, put a dollop just at the end. Same as above just trying to get the last 3 teeth to seal.

I'll try #2 first, if that doesn't work I'll clean it up and try #1. Unless someone has a better idea.

In my life time I have found that many things can be fixed if you understand what is wrong, understand what needs to be done and put enough thought into it.

If I can send it in to be fixed without replacing the zipper, then I should be able to fix it.
DW

I tried the silicone grease and no leak at all.

The zipper seams to be in good shape, no fraying at all. So I'll just use the grease until it doesn't work. no need to spend that kind of money till I need to. If its fails I'll just have a wet spot, nowhere near big enough to flood the suit.

Back
Top Bottom