Doc wants to put me in chamber - does this really sound like DCS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From your description, I think the index of suspicion for DCS is low. I'm very hesitant to second-guess someone who has examined you in person, but a localized sinus headache with thick yellow mucus and no other symptoms of DCS does not scream "DCS" to me. I think a neurological exam would be very reasonable.

Best regards,
DDM

We're you put on O2 I initially, that would be telling?
No. I had no symptoms right after the dive other than sore throat and woke up with what feels like a sinus infection. The doc I saw today spent about 5 minutes with me and did not do an exam.

Also, my mask was fogging up so I had a lot of water swishing around my nostrils during the dive as I cleared it. Annoying but also would explain the sinus issue.

my guess its more likely a pressure issue in the sinus - i get that too

Assuming no DCS, with a sinus infection, you may want to push your flight back anyway. Very painful way to fly.

The doc didn't prescribe an antibiotic for you?

Yeah I called DAN and Dan the doc said I should try to get the local doc to do a neuro exam. The guy I saw today was not qualified but there is a good dive medicine doc in the island. He doesn't work weekends though. I'm worried about spending $10k on a treatment I don't need. I'm not scheduled to fly out until Weds. and could push it back.
A doc not qualified to do a neuro exam? Where the hell did he qualify??

A chamber treatment during a sinus infection sounds dreadful. See if your dive master or owner of the dive shop can help direct you to an appropriate professional on the island.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom