What Torch to buy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LoL....that’s like telling an American to drink a Pabst Blue Ribbon or a Keystone....not quite the top choice.

But I’m sure they appreciate the sentiment.
Mmmmmmmm PBR........Just seemed friendlier than "kiss a platypus and eat a vegemite sandwhich for me"

G'day....
Jay

I have several Big Blue and they are excellent. I had a friend and on her very modest income I suggested getting a pair of Chinese crap lights. The dive shop talked her into a pistol grip light that cost $120. It flooded on the first dive and she was devastated because she is not well paid and this was a big investment for her.

A light is not life support, you can start out cheap and upgrade later when you have more of an idea what you want a light to do (poking around in the day, video, revealing true color, night dives etc). I have never regretted having extra lights in my kit. You have back-ups and loaners. On night dives I actually like smaller lamps versus the massive light cannons. Just keep in mind, you get what you pay for. A cheap light may not last, will not produce the lumens claimed in the ad and multiple complaints about flooding should be a red flag.

There's a big factory in Shenzhen that turns out tens of thousands of good quality all-metal dive torches that get resold under a bunch of different names. Resellers can specify certain options, but there are only a couple of basic variations.

IMO, the basic body you want is the one that uses 3 o-rings, a rechargeable single 18650 battery, and a Cree XM-L2 LED. They are usually advertised as 1000 lumens, although DGX rates their version at a more realistic 600. It's really bright, so much so that I'd look for versions with one or two low power settings.

I'm not sure who retails these in Australia. In the US, they've been sold under names like Volador, Brinyte and Nitesun. And of course, the DGX600 lights.

The Dive RIte and DGX stuff are good. The DGX stuff is probably the best buy for the money. The OrcaTorch stuff gets good reviews too, and I have several friends that use them and like them. They just don't make a light that fits my use.

I don't like Big Blue because they grossly overstate their output. They're lying to consumers, and that just sucks.

I like my sealife sea dragon mini 1300. It has a tighter beam than my other light. The form factor is great. I prefer it over the DRIS light I bought and prefer it over the cheaper Ano industries light I bought.

Buy a good quality light once. You can resell a good quality light, but less likely to resell a poor quality torch.

Given your requirements, I would recommend the 2 watt Light Monkey backup light. This light will last for decades; I have two (and a larger Light Monkey 3 watt primary light).
https://www.lightmonkey.us/2-watt-led

If you decide to progress into more technical diving that requires more robust lighting, the 2 watt Light Monkey backup light can be used as a backup light!

These lights are expensive since they are high quality products. But they are great value as they will perform for many years. If cost is an issue, perhaps save for a bit longer for a great product.

GJS

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom