Diving Gear Manufacturing Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

for regulators are important standards for breathing apparatus like or similar if you want to sell / build them

http://www.firedirect.net/_pdfs/_technical/tech_008_EN137_0105.pdf

which is translated in other languages and may contain other sub-standards for specific area

ISO 9001 is something completely different as tbone says s a management system for company

I would buy a manufacturered-by-Atomic (in the the factory) Zeagle. I'm still using 20 year old ones.
s-l225.jpg

SPONSORED
item 2 Zeagle Envoy DS-V DIN -Zeagle Envoy DS-V DIN

$409.95

There have been plenty of decent recommendations; and much has been said about particular brand loyalties. Few of those aforementioned certifications, I would agree, are really that germane to scuba equipment.

We did find it telling, however, that none of the Cousteau divers, we saw, back in the late 1980s, used any of the U.S. Divers / Aqualung products, while filming near Kilauea.

Whoops . . .

What brand would that be? Scubapro?

Poseidon, which were easily recognizable; some Scubapros, of that time (1988-9); and a couple of sullen smoking dudes with some sort of closed circuit equipment, if I recall correctly. The lack of any U.S. Divers / Aqualung gear, was a source of laughter at local shops -- especially since some were really flogging that product line, at the time.

A friend also reminded me that, during an old Cousteau program on the Antarctic, they were using Cyklons and Poseidon Unisuits with -- laughably -- Aqualung patches tacked on them.

What was also a topic of conversation but certainly not mentioned in the later program, was their apparent hiring of locals, to gain closer footage of Kilauea, which seemed to have been erupting since Hawai'i became a state -- and had reached the ocean. Apparently, those Frenchies in their Speedos were not up to the task of being parboiled . . .

Mahalo . . .

Another idea: since you're into machine, sciency stuff, why not buy from boutique US-based shops that build/manufacture their own regs, such as Deep 6 or Vintage Double Hose? Maybe the folks behind those products would be happy to chat with you about how they make them as well.

No, not all regulators are built the same. However, the difference in breathing is pretty minute for me. You will have a number of major fans for various regs and the all too common: "but, its life support" comment. But except for Poseiden 2nd stages, you can mix and match as you like. I've dove many a Frankenreg and they almost always do great. It's Scuba. Go have fun. Dive and let dive.

Back
Top Bottom