Need help the docking station of my drysuit zipper

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is a straight back zip? It’s shouldn't be to expensive to have replaced which it will sooner rather than later. You may find the the leak is small enough that you don’t get really wet for a while, dive it worry about it and see how it goes but once the docking end starts to fail it only going to progress.

I tried the silicone grease and no leak at all.

The zipper seams to be in good shape, no fraying at all. So I'll just use the grease until it doesn't work. no need to spend that kind of money till I need to. If its fails I'll just have a wet spot, nowhere near big enough to flood the suit.
A small leak over 30-60 minutes can flood a suit. Remember every 10m is another atmosphere pressure which will force more water in.

From personal experience a wet drysuit is much more uncomfortable that using a wetsuit.

A small leak over 30-60 minutes can flood a suit. Remember every 10m is another atmosphere pressure which will force more water in.

There's no "more" pressure on the zipper at depth than on the surface. Both inside and outside are at the same pressure

zippers have a limited life. time to suck it up and replace it, or get a new suit.

zippers have a limited life. time to suck it up and replace it, or get a new suit.
I agree that all things have a limited life. But this zipper holds well. Looks great as in no fraying and no bends.

What I found is this suit and zipper has only been used a handful of times. The problem with the zipper is not ware but age. What I found on other sites if this is the case then all I need to do is build up the seals on the end of the zipper. What I should be able to do is put on a thin layer of aqua seal on the seal of the zipper about 3/4 from the end and across the stop. Then the brass pull will be able to seal.

With all that said its a great fitting suit in good shape so it would be an extreme waste of money to replace the suit. If a little work can repair the zipper why not. At worst case I'm out of a couple bucks and still need to replace the zipper.

I'm just one of those that enjoys taking something older and skillfully bringing it back to life and with that I try to reuse as much as I can.

I agree that all things have a limited life. But this zipper holds well. Looks great as in no fraying and no bends.

What I found is this suit and zipper has only been used a handful of times. The problem with the zipper is not ware but age. What I found on other sites if this is the case then all I need to do is build up the seals on the end of the zipper. What I should be able to do is put on a thin layer of aqua seal on the seal of the zipper about 3/4 from the end and across the stop. Then the brass pull will be able to seal.

With all that said its a great fitting suit in good shape so it would be an extreme waste of money to replace the suit. If a little work can repair the zipper why not. At worst case I'm out of a couple bucks and still need to replace the zipper.

I'm just one of those that enjoys taking something older and skillfully bringing it back to life and with that I try to reuse as much as I can.
I thought the same thing, went from a weep to a new Ti-zip, very happy with the ti-zip. Make absolutely sure all the aqua seal is dry/cured before zipping it up the slightest bit on the brass will lead to a new zipper.

Back
Top Bottom