Rolex Submariner

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Finally the MT5621 movement of the Pelagos, although a nice movement, is absolutely not better that the current movement model 3235 that is in the latest Subs and Seadwellers. If someone told you that it was they are very misinformed.

You are the first Horologist that says that. Please inform us with technical information as to why Rolex movement is better.

Every person I talked to agrees on paraflex>incabloc and parachrom>silicone hairspring... but that’s the extend of my knowledge and I’m not going to fight for it

I know there are other differences (just because Rolex wouldn’t have it any other way). But I’m not on the market for any of those brand so I don’t know much

Oris is very nice, IMO, and also makes a dive watch with an integrated depth gauge. It’s much more than the Citizen but nowhere close to the high altitude price tag of a Rolex. I think the depth gauge is really only useful for recreational depths.

View attachment 547813
I have that same watch (although I have the chronograph version) and love it. I've only actually taken it diving a few times, but that "manual" depth gauge is fascinating and amazingly accurate.

I used to own a Rolex Oysterdate and sold it - it required too much expensive maintenance, simple cleaning was like $500. I know have a Casio G-shock with GPS, solar powered to boot. I don’t touch it at all and it keeps accuracy within 1 sec every day since it recalibrates itself automatically overnight, when I travel with it - it recognizes the new time zone and sets it. Really amazing piece of technology, practically maintenance free.

I think that you need to go onto a site like the Rolex forum and ask specific movement related rating questions if you don't believe me. But let's look at it this way. Tudor who makes the Pelagos is a subsidiary of Rolex and is basically their lower end line of watches. It is a similar relationship as Lexus to Toyota or Omega to Longines or Grand Seiko to Seiko or Ferrari to Fiat. Why would Rolex put the superior movement in the low end watch vs the top of the line. Both are very new versions of the company's movement expertise. A few years back Tudor watches had the same cases as Rolex but with lesser movements sourced from other companies like ETA. I will agree that Tudor has come a long way since, by making different designs in their cases and bracelets and beginning very recently making their own movements. But, they are still there to attract the customers that are not willing to pay the price of a Rolex.

I have watches made by Rolex, Grand Seiko, Seiko, Sinn, Baume & Mercier, Citizen, and Casio as well as dive computer's made by Suunto and Garmin. I use them all and enjoy having each of them. Whatever works for each person is great. Just as we all use different types of regulators, BCD's, computers, etc. every person has their own preferences. Luckily this is not a world where there is only one choice for all. Use what you like and enjoy it, don't worry about why someone else has chosen a different piece of equipment.

I have watches made by Rolex, Grand Seiko, Seiko, Sinn, Baume & Mercier, Citizen, and Casio as well as dive computer's made by Suunto and Garmin. I use them all and enjoy having each of them. Whatever works for each person is great. Just as we all use different types of regulators, BCD's, computers, etc. every person has their own preferences. Luckily this is not a world where there is only one choice for all. Use what you like and enjoy it, don't worry about why someone else has chosen a different piece of equipment.

Hey, can I ask you which models? Specifically for the GS, Sinn and citizen?

(If you don’t mind of course, I’ve always been a watch nerd)

Grand Seiko SBGE031
IMG_2228-L.jpg

Seiko Japan Domestic Models
SBDX011
Ti%20Strap%2001-L.jpg

SBDX023 - just ordered
001-L.jpg

SINN
EZM13
i-4p2MFhh-L.jpg

EZM / U1000S
i-n34RBVp-L.jpg