Inner ear infections

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As @uncfnp said, MIDDLE EAR (not outer ear) infections are a result of poor equalization. Blood leaks into the middle ear from the barotrauma and sets up a field for infection. You really need to concentrate on equalization.
"Early and Often" means > at the surface, and every 2 feet down to 30 feet, where you can carefully back off.
ANY PAIN AT ALL > STOP!!!!!! Ascend until there is no pain and pressure, and.......gently.....try again.
You should be clearing with ANY hint of pressure.
Go as slowly as you need to.
Practice numerous times during the day prior to a trip. If you can't clear on land, you can't clear in the water.

Good advice on equalization. I think what my Carolina Blue colleague @uncfnp meant is that middle ear barotrauma symptoms are sometimes mistaken by divers for middle ear infection. Barotrauma is not a prerequisite for middle ear infection.

Best regards,
DDM

In 42 years of surfing, diving etc in the oceans, I never get "swimmer's ear".
But a couple times swimming in fresh water swimming pools, I got it. And I remember getting it swimming in the town pool growing ip in Ohio. Most recently a couple years ago.
The cure that works for me is putting super saline water in my ear. 120 ppt or so.
By the next day, no pain. Worked on my sons also.

...middle ear barotrauma symptoms are sometimes mistaken by divers for middle ear infection. Barotrauma is not a prerequisite for middle ear infection.

Please clarify. Can barotrauma cause middle ear infection?

Thank you,

Couv

Good advice on equalization. I think what my Carolina Blue colleague @uncfnp meant is that middle ear barotrauma symptoms are sometimes mistaken by divers for middle ear infection. Barotrauma is not a prerequisite for middle ear infection.

Best regards,
DDM

Oohh, I missed the point she was making (note to self, improve skimming skills), though it’s obvious when I reread her post. This was truly infection, ache, fever, ruptured ear drum 2 days after Drs diagnosis due to puss pushing through. That was the first year. Last year I got in to the Dr early enough to avoid the puss seepage. Both times symptoms appeared 2-3 days after returning home and resolved with abx.

Please clarify. Can barotrauma cause middle ear infection?

Thank you,

Couv

It could, in the manner described earlier by @fmerkel .

Best regards,
DDM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom