Trip report Moalboal 11/8~11/11 2019

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That was my experience too when I stayed at Turtle bay.
As a reply to @Tripophobia :
- if you want to get early before the yellow jackets snorkelers and enjoy good viz, take the tricycle.
- If you prefer to swim within a sardine poo storm and loads of other divers, then go with the boat... and good luck at taking decent photos.
49126478858_5bfa89cbf4_z.jpg

Exactly as Luko said
I made this photo in the afternoon
I tried so hard to catch a sardine circle
but the watercolor and visibility was disappointing
on the other hand, afternoon dives in the Pescador were ok ~ especially not crowded at all
The orange frogfish photo was taken in the afternoon

Does the resort somehow support/organize the tricycle tour?
As per my experience with Turtle Bay they won't because TBR is quite a ride away from Panagsama so you'd better take some arrangements with the dive shops that are RIGHT in front (namely Savedra, which I don't like much tho but there might be other ones. I guess Nelson's could do that too, you'd simply have to walk a little more.).
Anyway, that means you'll be diving with another dive centre so TBR won't help, but you'll still have a tricycle waiting at the entrance of TBR (probably still the same driver named Jolietto).

Taken before the sardine s***t hit the many fans around (you can see'em coming on the last pic)

30582095853_d42ee094ab_c.jpg

27936374048_eeec3b498f_c.jpg

43658008490_8f54b5fd6d_c.jpg

As per my experience with Turtle Bay they won't because TBR is quite a ride away from Panagsama so you'd better take some arrangements with the dive shops that are RIGHT in front (namely Savedra, which I don't like much tho but there might be other ones. I guess Nelson's could do that too, you'd simply have to walk a little more.).
Anyway, that means you'll be diving with another dive centre so TBR won't help, but you'll still have a tricycle waiting at the entrance of TBR.
What do you dislike about Savedra? I’ll be diving with them in December.

What do you dislike about Savedra? I’ll be diving with them in December.

Basically one of the biggest dive factories in Moalboal, lots of expat newbie instructors who are there to "live their dream" (understand don't give a s**t about the customer) chatting between themselves, remotely caring about the customers, you'd feel almost sorry to bother them.
No welcome from the boss (he explained to me on another board he had other stuff to do, ie. I saw him drinking coffee and discussing with his staff meanwhile, looked very busy indeed... lame answer...), while the previous german owner would put it as a principle to shake your hands and introduce you to the dive facilities.
Heavily loaded boats, whimsical dive schedule, dive plan made to arrange the instructors without any consideration to the conditions, no flexibility at all.

I used to be a regular customer when it was german operated, now with the change of ownership they won't see me again, Read Tripadvisor, you'll find my advice... I wish I could reply to the owner's answer.

I've been diving with Nelson's for years. I've been more or less content, but that probably has as much to do with a good price and the convenience for me. I normally stay just next door at Eve's Kiosk which is run by Nelson's sister. My first visit I stayed there and since then at another place just behind it that has fan room. I can book that room through Eve's. They've all always been accommodating and I've had no complaints. Very laid back place.

Sorry to hear about Savedra. They had a really good reputation before.

I've been debating if I will try a different dive op my next visit. Still working out my budget. Paying more, whether it's dives or accommodations, means less dives overall so price is a consideration. Not the only one though :)

Go Cebu Dive Center managed by Cameron, an American citizen.
It is far from being a diving industry and I really liked my diving week with them.
Moreover, it is cheap, they offer free daily Nitrox tank, they are right in front of the sardines, and close to all restaurants, convenient stores, bars...

they are right in front of the sardines.
Well to be exact, Savedra is the one that is absolutely RIGHT in front of the school that extends to Seaquest. Cebu dive center is some 300m away down the road, further than Nelson's so you'd still have to walk with your kit or have a swim to reach the sardines or may be they have other arrangements.
That said I met Cameron who's a good guy (the kind of dive centre manager who welcome customers :eyebrow: unlike... oh well... ), they're small and often completely booked, problem was he didn't provide early morning dives.

I dove 3 times on the "house reef" (which is basically the same wall for the whole village), twice on the morning, once at night, and I didn't have to swim much to be right in the middle of millions of sardines.
No need to walk anywhere with my gear. Just jumped in and enjoyed the show!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom