Re: Night Dive training requirements

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No one on Roatan will expect to see a night dive certification from you. The only rule in night diving is don't shine your light directly in another diver's face.

I never felt the need to take night diving training, others do. It depends on the confidence and experience of the diver. The OP is going with an experienced night diver and DM, I'm assuming one person, and should be fine if his buddy is competent and he heeds the good advice in the thread. If it's an overwhelming experience, just call the dive and try another time and/or take the training.

Bob

I find many folks have buoyancy problems at night. It is surprising how much of your buoyancy control comes from visual clues and situational awareness, both of which are lacking at night.

Yup, I've only had two uncontrolled ascents when diving. I've also only done two night dives.

I did a night dive from a boat, with a guide, when I was very new and had no night diver training. I was fine. I ended up doing the night diver course later on, though, because there's a local group that does shore dives at night. I wanted to go, but I was nervous about dealing with a surf entry without a pro watching over me. I thought the class was worthwhile, as it gave me the confidence to deal with that situation, and I've had a lot of fun with it since. But I bet your experience will be more like my first one, and you should be fine if you just listen to the briefing and heed the advice in this thread.

You need nothing for a night dive at most dive ops apart from a torch.

One thing I would think about is a spare light. Personally I prefer to have a light (and back up for every dive) - you never know when you might want it. Even If I don't use the back up, I have it available to hand off to a buddy if need be.

Night diving in Roatan off a boat?
Rent a light from the dive op if you don’t have your own, keep track of your depth (you won’t have as much visual cues at night) and enjoy the difference of the reef at night.

If you are comfortable enough (and the group is) you might turn off all your lights and enjoy the bioluminescence.

Night diving from shore? Or in surf and other home local conditions, i’d Suggest doing a course with a local instructor as there would be potentially some regional tips and tricks that they can pass on that wouldn’t apply from an instructor from somewhere else

_R

I am new to Scuba Diving and would like to Thank You Veteran’s for taking the time to help us New yo the Sport Divers with our questions. So Thank You in Advance. My question is I am going to Rainbow Reef in Florida to complete my advance open water and enriched air course training and from there I am Blessed enough to be able to go to Roatan for a week of diving. With that said our itinerary includes 1 night dive which I have purchased a beacon for my tank and a back up light . Do I need any type of night dive certification other than of course diving with a experienced night diver and Dive Master. Thank You as Always !!!!

When I was a kid we used to night-snorkel for lobster quite a bit in the shallows here in Laguna. My first night dive was in High School. I think about age 16. My buddy and I did a dive at Boat Canyon (formerly called Rattlesnake Gulch) during the day, then went back there to do the same dive at night. Our total preparation and training consisted of eating mexican food while waiting for it to get dark. No biggie, just like a day dive but your field of vision is the width of your Darrell-Allen Bug Diver 400 light beam. (Who remembers those?) :)

cc @SamMiller III

The 'proper' light signals are pretty much meaningless with any sort of mixed group - lights are waving all over the place all the time.

Also - jellyfish are attracted to light. This is important to know ahead of time...

Ideally, get comfortable with turning your light off as soon as you are reasonably familiar with the basic process.

When I'm not doing photo stuff I'll usually just leave my light off and use the spill from other people. When it is on, fingers over the lens with just a sliver of light getting through. That and a bit of moonlight makes for a much more interesting experience.

My light has 3 settings; I find I only like to use the dimmest one at night. Otherwise there's too much glare to see my gauges.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom