Astigmatism Prescription Dive Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have severe astigmatism in both eyes (bitoric rgp lenses) and considered getting a script mask. Then I remembered I hate wearing glasses and would need to wear them to the dive site. So, I have been diving with contacts for 3 plus years, as well as a dive in ‘91.

Erik

I have an astigmatism and my wife got me a SeaVision mask 3 years ago for Father's Day and it has been a game changer. My vision isn't terrible but with glasses on everything looks "HD" if that makes sense. I have enjoyed them greatly for snorkeling and now diving.

I don't know about any new products. These have been around for a long time.
SeavisionUSA makes polycarbonate mask lenses with full prescription including astigmatism. They are optically great. The lenses are installed in place of the original glass, so there are no visible edger or glue on parts.
There is another manufacturer, Aquaticoptics, which makes prescription glass lenses to masks. Also nice, but the company is a bit difficult to reach.
Many opticians can grind glass lenses (with planar front surface) with even larger spectrum of prescriptions. These lenses are then glued inside your mask.

What has actually changed since 2014 is contact lenses. Disposable toric contact lenses are more common now and available for wider range of astigmatic prescriptions.
After spending a fortune on prescription masks, I have now completely switched to diving with toric contact lenses.

Seavision products are outstanding and super durable. I have no problem with reading my Luna with the bifocal correction, and the distance prescription is perfect.

I have an astigmatism and my wife got me a SeaVision mask 3 years ago for Father's Day and it has been a game changer. My vision isn't terrible but with glasses on everything looks "HD" if that makes sense. I have enjoyed them greatly for snorkeling and now diving.

Great analogy, seeing in HD, I like it.

I am in much of the same situation, except using contacts for diving. Maybe the next time I'm in the US, I will go for the mask lenses....

I have astigmatism as well as a need for bifocals.

Another vote for SeaVision US. I'm on my second or third mask from them (my eyes change every 18-24 months). I've done the glue-in/bonded route before and prefer SeaVision for both clarity and ease of cleaning.

You do NOT have to use their masks btw. I've never had a chance to try their masks so I send them a mask (TUSA CEOS) I buy at my LDS (dual lenses only), the numbers from my optometrist and they send the mask back with the ground lenses installed. Usually a two week turn around (I'm in Canada).

So there seems to be a lot of divers with quality scripted masks... which has, honestly, got me thinking about switching.

Question.... What about fogging?

I understand that the scripted lenses are solid and either replace the stock lens or are adhered in, but what are you experiences regarding fogging and using anti-fog solutions of whatever variety? Any issues? Any difference?

I think the only fogging concern is with very low volume masks. Once an added layer of glass is bonded inside, the glass can be so close to your face that your body heat adds to the challenge of keeping it fog free. I have that happening with a mask. Usually I only use defog every 2nd or 3rd dive, but that mask I need to treat for every dive.

No different than a stock lens. If anything because the lenses don’t have that pesky coating that has to be removed from the factory I find I have less problems than most.

The glue in lenses can get a little but of buildup on the edges of the bonded inner lens.

I use this defog... does a really good job. It’s the go-to defog for most of the DMs and Instructors at my LDS.

Reef Safe Sun® Biodegradable Dive Mask Defogger & Cleanser - Reef Safe Sun by Reef Safe Sun

Back
Top Bottom