ATM vagaries

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WetInPortland

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Today I used the Santander ATM at Calle 3 y Ave 10 that @gopbroek has often recommended, and there have been some changes to how transactions are handled.

1. No ATM fee! None shown on the receipt, and when I checked my bank, it not only appears that there was no fee, but I also received a favorable exchange rate. Santander isn't listed on the Dollar Today site, but the mid-point average exchange rate today was 19.21 pesos:dollar; the transaction went through at 19.30.

2. No dynamic currency conversion page. Nice that they got rid of this ham-handed money grab

3. Only dispensed $500 peso notes. I didn't pay attention to the welcome page, that usually lists what bills are available, and it wasn't a problem this time, but it's something to keep in mind for the future.

On the other hand, when I used the Santander ATM at Mega earlier in the week, (1) there was the standard 30 peso ATM fee; (2) it had the stupid DCC page (which can be declined); and (3) it dispensed the typical variety of bills.

YMMV

This is good news. Three weeks ago the ATM's in the Santander on 10th Avenue were offering a conversion rate about 8% below market and if declined the transaction was terminated and the card kicked back. Glad to hear they that they have reversed this policy.

1. No ATM fee! None shown on the receipt, and when I checked my bank, it not only appears that there was no fee, but I also received a favorable exchange rate. Santander isn't listed on the Dollar Today site, but the mid-point average exchange rate today was 19.21 pesos:dollar; the transaction went through at 19.30.
That's sweet. It doesn't make sense, as you expect an ATM other than at your own bank to charge one, so I have to wonder. A mistake that will cost some Vice Pres I'll bet.

2. No dynamic currency conversion page. Nice that they got rid of this ham-handed money grab
I wouldn't call it ham handed as it seems pretty slick to me. Well, if I had not be warned here on SB, I would have fell for it. But then I am easily intimidated bank transactions done in Spanish, but the machine I use still makes me nervous even in English. See my photos at: More photos of the bank ATM scam

3. Only dispensed $500 peso notes. I didn't pay attention to the welcome page, that usually lists what bills are available, and it wasn't a problem this time, but it's something to keep in mind for the future.
Yeah, I hate that, and I have never seen a choice on the HCSB machine I use by the square downtown. I try to break those up at my hotel, hoping they haven't made their daily deposit yet, otherwise too late - not enough cash on hand.

Spending Pesos is generally much cheaper than using a credit card or USDollars of course, and ATMs are usually the cheapest way to get those except for those local ex-pats who have taken time to set up with Zoom. One of our regulars did get a warning on her BoA account tho, that looks expensive including a $5 USD fee per transaction: Changes coming for BofA ATM users...

And never even consider using a Cashola machine; only use bank ATMs! I think that was this guy's problem: Atm card compromised in cozumel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I used the same ATM on 10/28. Same situation. I had set a travel alert on my BA account but when I tried to get 6000 Pesos I was denied. Got a text from BA and then was able to get it to go through, no fees I thought. When I got home I then noticed a fee for $5.00 and another one for $9.50. They were dated on the 28th but not sure when they showed up.

I used the same ATM on 10/28. Same situation. I had set a travel alert on my BA account but when I tried to get 6000 Pesos I was denied. Got a text from BA and then was able to get it to go through, no fees I thought. When I got home I then noticed a fee for $5.00 and another one for $9.50. They were dated on the 28th but not sure when they showed up.
It sounds like you ignored the BoA warning and got hit by the $5 gouge that she described: Changes coming for BofA ATM users... I don't know what that $9.50 was about, but I'd be on the phone to ask.

For my 5,000 Peso each withdrawals, I had a 19.27 net conversion rate last August from WF at the HCSB machine by the plaza, no extra fees ever showed up.

I was expecting to pay a fee before I used the ATM. During the process in the past it posted a fee and you had the option to accept it. This time there was an option to use English which was nice, but no fee was posted. I thought I made the transaction fee free for the first time until I saw the charges.

Well, that was short lived. Back to the "old" configuration today. However, I also saw this news announcement: Santander cancels commissions to remittances from Mexicans abroad (Spanish) (or Google Translate version here). The article talks about the government efforts to make it easy for émigrés to send money back to Mexico. I don't know if the configuration I saw on Saturday was a mistake, part of that effort, or if it will return. If it does return, it would certainly have the (perhaps?) unintended consequence of making it easy for tourists and expats to transfer money to Mexico.

I withdrew 2000 pesos today from Santander on 10th. There was a 36 peso transaction fee- roughly $2 US.
That's only a little more than half of the 64 fee I paid at HCSB. Any extra fees show up on your account? What was the net exchange rate?

Well, that was short lived. Back to the "old" configuration today. However, I also saw this news announcement: Santander cancels commissions to remittances from Mexicans abroad (Spanish) (or Google Translate version here). The article talks about the government efforts to make it easy for émigrés to send money back to Mexico. I don't know if the configuration I saw on Saturday was a mistake, part of that effort, or if it will return. If it does return, it would certainly have the (perhaps?) unintended consequence of making it easy for tourists and expats to transfer money to Mexico.
I figured it was a mistake. What bank gives away free ATM fees to non-customers?

That's only a little more than half of the 64 fee I paid at HCSB. Any extra fees show up on your account? What was the net exchange rate?

I bank with Chase and they charge me a flat rate $5 fee for each ATM withdrawal with a non-Chase ATM. So, I tend to take out a large amount up front at the beginning of the trip, so as not to incur this fee multiple times.
Exchange rate came out to: $1US = $18 Pesos

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom