Seeking advice regarding high end regs also for tec

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Apeks DST XTX50/40 - everyday and doubles

Apeks XL4+ - backup, travel and friends that are too cheap to hire gear

It was a bit of a risk buying the XL4+ setup but I needed an extra set of regs as I often take friends on the boat. I didn't really like loaning out my XTX50 sets so it made sense to buy something different. Apart from the fact the first stage isn't a swivel I absolutely love the XL4+ setup. They breath great even if they technically are not as good on a machine as the XTX50 I cannot tell the different. They are super light and small, I never get jaw fatigue and being proven in cold-water is great. I absolutely love them and am considering getting more XL4's and running them on the Apeks DST first stage. I am not sure they are great value for money compared to the DST XTX50/40 but dam they feel good to use.

I am not really a big fan of mixing and matching, mostly due to the unequal availability of service, especially outside the US. I have used Poseidon products for decades; swear by them; and have serviced them. That said, two-thirds of their current regulator line, the Jetstream and XStreams, can be easily interchanged, without an issue -- similar guttiwuts; that, and the conventional IP as most other brands, etc. I began on the Cyklon 300 (still active, now on a bailout bottle), with a far higher IP (12.5 bar / 152 psi versus the more conventional 8.5 bar / 123 psi); and those cannot be readily combined, as previously mentioned in this thread, with other brands. One of the two, will always breathe like crap. An old colleague of mine combined a Cyklon with a decent Scubapro second stage, and couldn't understand why that safe second functioned so very poorly.

My advice to most clients, is to stick to one brand . . .
The high ip of the Cyklon, and the low ip of the X/JetStreams are extremes. Most others are 135psi. So ip disparity doesn't seem like a reason to avoid mixing, absent the Poseidon's. One brand to service locally is an argument for using just one brand, though shops do carry more than one brand so would service what they sell. Plus, if you mail in to get service, I'm sure the big service shops can handle more than one brand on the same reg set, as long as the ips are the 135 psi norm. IP Gauge Reading

+1 on Turret and 5th port for twins and sidemount.

I've heard good things about the performance of the XL4 but given it's rather convoluted design and the need for numerous specialty tools not sure I'd want to travel to some far flung location with one. At least Apeks did away with the silly proprietary hoses al la Flight.

The high ip of the Cyklon, and the low ip of the X/JetStreams are extremes. Most others are 135psi. So ip disparity doesn't seem like a reason to avoid mixing, absent the Poseidon's. One brand to service locally is an argument for using just one brand, though shops do carry more than one brand so would service what they sell. Plus, if you mail in to get service, I'm sure the big service shops can handle more than one brand on the same reg set, as long as the ips are the 135 psi norm.

There is a bit more of an overlap between, say, the use of some Scubapro regulators; the Jetstream; and its predecessor, the Odin. Scubapro IP ranges from 125-145 psi; and the Jetstream, at 123 psi. 2 psi is negligible and a number of colleagues happily use both on the same first.

Perhaps you have the luxury of shops in your area that service multiple brands -- actually service what they sell; but the reality is that more and more equipment either falls under the category of planned obsolescence, to appeal to the gear heads, with each new season, akin to, say, the skiing industry; alternatively, gear being farmed out elsewhere, more and more, especially for many living overseas. Poseidon is a good example of that; and I have serviced many over the years; so too Scubapro in some regions. Shops simply don't stock those parts kits like they did even a decade ago. They've become far too expensive to keep; and many shops would rather remain as quasi-travel agencies, than pay some kid minimum wage, as a potential loss leader, to fix a disposable regulator.

I've heard good things about the performance of the XL4 but given it's rather convoluted design and the need for numerous specialty tools not sure I'd want to travel to some far flung location with one. At least Apeks did away with the silly proprietary hoses al la Flight.

If it’s your only set of Regs you are taking that’s an issue worth considering. However, in a world with the internet and mobile phones it’s not hard to call ahead an check with the local operator if they can service the regs you have in a pitch. Alternatively, get them serviced before you go or take the tools needed yourself.

Apeks XL4+ - backup, travel and friends that are too cheap to hire gear
This is exactly what I got myself a week ago, I was looking for a compact regulator for travel and was thinking of Aqua-Lung Mikron but my dive shop steered me towards the Apeks XL4+ instead. I will find out how good it is next month when I take it to Truk Lagoon. In terms of reliability it better be dependable and not requiring unexpected servicing - I lived for 25 years with my US Divers Conshelf 21 and finally now it got serviced first time ever (first time parts were replaced), before that it was only checked for free by my dive shop before my major dive trips.

Perhaps you have the luxury of shops in your area that service multiple brands
I forgot the OP is in SE Asia. I'd definitely limit my choice to what is sold in region and consider whatever mail in service doesn't trigger delays or customs issues. Plus get an extra 1st and 2nd beyond dive needs as backup and for staged service. So 3x 1st+2nd plus extra other parts (SPG, inflator, etc) at the doubles but no stage/deco point. I like sealed for one less worry, and turret is a must, so Apeks DST+XTX-50 might win, if mortem's list is accurate.
Only a handful of brand are easily available across the region: Aqualung, Scubapro, Mares and Apeks. Others such as Atomic, Poseidon, Dive Rite and Hog are available in selected location only. Others such as Deep 6 are totally inexistant.

Why do brands get mixed? If your accumulated regs all tune to 135psi, what brand is on what doesn't really matter. I've sent off 2nds to be serviced on their own, tuned to 135psi. On purposeful mixing, I'm intrigued by the XStream second, for size and breathing, yet Poseidon doesn't have rotating turrets, so I'd tune one of my 1st down for that. But absent a reason, or history, a single brand is simpler for parts or finding service.

If your service availability is spotty, I'd put learning to service your own 2nds on your todo list as backup. The uncomplicated barrel poppet ones are really dirt simple, see the self service threads for more. I send mine off for service as the rules I dive under say someone certified must service them, and I'm not yet. I service my SP109/156 and Deep6 and then send them off. I've not ventured into my SP S600s though, as they're more complex and the service kits are not readily available. Vintage Double Hose has kits for the older ScubaPros and Deep6 makes their own kits available.

I get the feeling that some are thinking the first and second stage are made for each other and is by default the only pairing that can be made. IMO little if anything has changed in IE the SP MK25 over many years. the second stage that has come paired with it has evolved. better or worse I dont know. Enough to make it necessary to update to?? , NO. I dont know of a secondary that will not connect to any primary hose. If you like your primary because of the layout of the LP ports then that one is for you. If you like the controls now available on the new brand X secondary reg over the plain jane secondary then that is the one for you . This is much like,, which tires should be on your car? In the south you might want to have 150 mph tires for the 8 month summer road heat protection even though you only drive 70. but in Canada those road heat considerations are not on the table and you buy a 100 MPH tire instead.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom