From Basic to Fancy Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DevilEyeDog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Yippee to me! I'm getting a gift of a new dive computer and was asked to pick out what I'd like.
I want to hear from you.
I have had nothing, but the most basic wrist VEO 100.

Some thoughts I have:
-I don't love wrist mounts because sometimes mine gets loose and I worry it will be lost at some point (though never has). That said maybe it's because it's a cheap dive computer and the fancier ones are better with being more secure.

-I worry about a transmitter as just another thing to break, but again, maybe I'm wrong.

-If I get an air integrated console I need a compass and don't want 2 different things dangling so I'd prefer compass (digital or original) on one console. I also worry that digital compass and air integrated is another thing to break.

What do you have and love? Thanks!

Bungee mount for a wrist computer will keep it from getting loose at depth. Where do you want to end up with your diving? Any chance of tec in the future?

Good thought Bowers and certainly some of the fancier wrist mounts offer those.
No chance of tec in the future, but want it versatile and if there was an easy computer that could download the software in to an online program that would be awesome for record keeping.

A number of modern computers have Bluetooth to download the dives. Avoid wired downloads.

Wrist computers are nice because you always know where your wrist is! Lots of ways to secure it.

Air Integration is really nice. Wireless is nice. Modern systems using the MH8A transmitters are quite robust.
If you don't have air integration, you still need an SPG so your system has not been simplified.

Digital compasses are not as easy to use as mechanical compasses, but have more features. If you only need a compass occasionally, the digital is fine. If you use the compass a lot, like for complex navigation, the mechanical might be better. The digital compasses are more complicated, which goes with their having more features, but if you don't use them often you are always relearning how to use it.

I avoid Suunto because i don't like the algorithm, even for recreational diving. Personal preference.
Big bucks: go with Shearwater.
Modest bucks: go with Aqualung with Bluetooth.
Also, wait and look at the new Genesis/Sherwood coming out soon.
DEMA is mid-November, new stuff gets announced there.

I have a Suunto Eon Core, it’s great but try out everything you can because for me the computers all about the interface design and everyone’s pretty personal on that.

1. In terms of wrist mount, bungee straps are available. I’ve never really had a problem with a normal strap though.

2. Transmitters are very reliable. I have mine directly attached to the first stage, but this does open up the risk of - when you’re passing the cylinder up to the boat - somebody using it as a handle. You can attach it to a hose if you’d prefer to mitigate physical damage. Integrated air is fantastic. In terms of general failure, there’s not much to worry about aside from battery replacement after some obscenely long period of time.

3. with the eon core and it’s Bluetooth, couple with the Dive Log app on iPad, it’s very easy to offload data via Bluetooth. Or using Suunto free software, offloading to a PC with the cable is also a cinch,

4. Digital compass on the Eon is excellent, very accurate and corrects for tilt.

Hopefully others can chip in with their models for your use case.

if you find you really don’t like wrist mount, then the only console computer I know that has an integrated compass is the Suunto Cobra. No idea if it’s any good though.

After much debate and a few sleepless nights I went with the Shearwater Teric and its been absolutely fantastic. One the hardest things I find is that when not diving every day its really hard to remember everything and with Shearwater I find the menus so intuitive it makes a huge difference. I am also learning new things all the time and joining courses and at least where I am the Perdix is what most of the instructors have (Teric is only new). This makes it really easy to compare notes and get extra tips/help given they know the product well.

I have never really worried about the watch falling off and I guess if it did I would end the dive and fall back on my SPG and put in an insurance claim for a new one. However, its not something I fear as the straps are very secure and built tough.

Transmitter has never missed a beat, just don't attach it directly to the first stage (use a small hose). I have also made the decision to include a backup SPG whenever I dive.

Shearwater Cloud is also pretty good now its been updated. Simple to connect the watch update firmware and download/analysis dives. This is all done via bluetooth. Its great to be able to quickly pull up dives and compare notes and use them for learning.

The compass is very easy to use and it can be overlaid on the main screen if you want it.

At the end of the day its a tough call as going high-end is expensive no matter which brand you choose. I don't need half the options available right now but its nice knowing they are there when I get around to doing the appropriate courses. I also really don't like learning new interfaces and menus and I know that Shearwater is reputable and even if I part with the Teric in the future the next iteration will be similar in operation. Its a bit like Apple versus Android......most people pick and then can't be bothered changing as its more of a hassle than anything else.

A number of modern computers have Bluetooth to download the dives. Avoid wired downloads.

I avoid Suunto because i don't like the algorithm, even for recreational diving. Personal preference.
Big bucks: go with Shearwater.
Modest bucks: go with Aqualung with Bluetooth.

^^^^ Pretty much this.

(1) Aqualung is a solid mid-market choice. I know many instructors who have one.

(2) If you'll not go Tec, Teric is fantastic (I have 2) but a bit of an overkill.

(3) Avoid Suunto like the pest.

+1 for the Teric. Love it! Also have you looked at the Oceanic Geo 4.0 with bluetooth? We have two for our kiddos.

Aqualung i550c is available with a compass. It may seem oddly shaped, but for navigation that form factor has Great ergonomics. (It is an old Aeris design element)

Some thoughts I have:
-I don't love wrist mounts because sometimes mine gets loose and I worry it will be lost at some point (though never has). That said maybe it's because it's a cheap dive computer and the fancier ones are better with being more secure.

-I worry about a transmitter as just another thing to break, but again, maybe I'm wrong.

-If I get an air integrated console I need a compass and don't want 2 different things dangling so I'd prefer compass (digital or original) on one console. I also worry that digital compass and air integrated is another thing to break.
I kind of skipped the basic computer phase. For years, I dove with no computer. That was kind of a carryover from my initial open water class. At the time, computers were around, but they were primarily used by the tech community, Nitrox too, by the way.

When I finally did get a computer, I got an Oceanic Pro Plus 2 Air integrated console. I liked having everything in one place. When this computer finally died, I replaced it with an Oceanic VT4.1. That was about 6 years ago. Transmitter and computer still function great, but I did nearly lose the computer last year. Rubber strap gave out when I was standing on a submerged platform ready to start the dive. I noticed it, and retrieved it. Had it happened later in the dive, I probably wouldn’t have found it. I replaced the strap with a bungee mount, so worry about that less.

My next computer will be a Shearwater Perdix AI. Since my Oceanic transmitter still works, and will work with the Shearwater, I’ll keep using that for now. I strongly considered a Teric,but it didn’t really make sense for me as I don’t wear a watch. The Perdix also comes with two straps, and can be converted to bungee as well.

My Oceanic has a digital compass, and the Shearwaters do as well, but I prefer a wrist mounted analog compass. With the Oceanic, using the compass took up the whole screen, so it wasn’t really useful during a dive. With the Shearwaters, the compass takes up less room, so you could still use it as a computer. But, I’ll probably still use the analog compass.

Back
Top Bottom