Best place for kids to do Cert Dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi everyone!

I'm looking for recommendations in the Miami/Key Largo area for my 13 and 11-year-old kids to do their certification dives. They are both good in the water, and won't be difficult to train, and am looking for someone who will show them a good time. I will be there with my girlfriend diving at the same time, either with them or not with them, whichever.

Thanks for any input

Wetvet

South Beach Divers.

I took my 12yr daughter to Tampa/st Petersburg area for check out dives. We did dark and spooky quarry dives, with turtles, then a couple dives to a sunk sailboat. Viz wasn’t great.
We had more fun next trip at Pompano Beach staying at Sands Harbor Resort and Marina with South Florida Diving Headquaters in the hotel lobby and boats right outside lobby. Super easy BUT, check that rental gear like your life depends on it. I got a broken BCD and daughter’s computer was locked out from previous renter. Pompano Dive Center is Down the boardwalk, i would use them, but we’ve bought our gear now. My daughter dove without me first time when she was 19.

Hi everyone!

I'm looking for recommendations in the Miami/Key Largo area for my 13 and 11-year-old kids to do their certification dives. They are both good in the water, and won't be difficult to train, and am looking for someone who will show them a good time. I will be there with my girlfriend diving at the same time, either with them or not with them, whichever.

Thanks for any input

Wetvet

You might consider Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park on Key Largo. They have a dive op and offer training programs. They also have a small lagoon (with a Spanish Shipwreck) that is popular with snorkelers and a good spot for dive training, see link below:
John Pennenkamp Coral Reef State Park

What time of year will you be traveling? Florida waters can be cold and rough in the winter/spring and that may not be the best way to introduce young divers to scuba.

DiveTech on Grand Cayman offers a Kids Camp all year round with activities geared toward families and kids of various ages, see link below:
https://www.divetech.com/kids

But keep in mind that your children would need passports to go to Cayman.

My vote would be Key Largo. I love Pompano Beach and Pompano Dive Center, but the majority of their dive sites are more on the advanced side, current is almost always present. Key Largo has a greater variety of shallow reefs available that would good for training kids.

My vote would be Key Largo. I love Pompano Beach and Pompano Dive Center, but the majority of their dive sites are more on the advanced side, current is almost always present. Key Largo has a greater variety of shallow reefs available that would good for training kids.

Dive ops from West Palm to Ft. Lauderdale routinely certify kids 10 and up. Plenty of shallow reefs for beginners. Should be no problem.

Key Largo and Rainbow Reef Dive Center are an excellent choice for training divers of any age. Rainbow is extremely safety conscious and is one of PADI's largest instructor training centers in the world.

Key Largo's dive sites are relatively shallow and offer a great opportunity to gain dive experience and confidence.

www.rainbowreef.com/

+1 for Rainbow Reef at Key Largo.
Easy shallow reefs, pretty fish and very flexible schedule

Both of my kids were certified as JR Open Water with Rainbow Reef at 10. I cannot recommend them enough and will be bringing my daughter there in a little more than a year when she is 10. They are outstanding with kids.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom