A Sincere Question about Console Vs. Wrist Computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a wrist mounted AI computer but there's nothing wrong with a console. It's one less thing to put on your arm and less likely to be lost. The display is bigger and easier to read and the compass on the console is easier to use. The mechanical connection is more dependable than wireless and you don't need a plastic transmitter on your first stage. Just clip it off so it's easy to see and stays close to you. As someone else stated it's personal preference.

Rather than looking at what is wrong with console computers we should turn the question around and ask what is the benefit of a console computer.

1. Generally speaking (not always) console computers are a less expensive option to get an Air Integrated computer.
2. Consoles keep everything in the same place you were trained with. So the console is there where you were trained to check your SPG. (admittedly not a very strong reason for using a console)
3. Generally speaking you get more screen real estate for your $$ with a console vs a wrist mounted option. (again not always true).

I prefer wrist....I always know where it is, I can glance at it easily and quickly while keeping my attention elsewhere (like on a cool critter or an errant student), I can see it while using my retractor-mounted mechanical compass or use the one in the computer.

Consoles for an instructor are not an advantage and may be a disadvantage....one more thing to find, secure, try and see.
Unless the hose on the console is quite long, it is hard to get a console-mounted compass in front of you centered on your body, aimed the right direction.
Air-integrated consoles have expensive hoses if you want a QD so you can take your computer to lunch and log your dives.

You are not looking at an SPG very often, once you get some experience, but you may be looking at the computer or depth gauge or compass a lot, so having an SPG clipped off is very little nuisance compared to having your compass, depth gauge, computer clipped off.

....When I do go shopping,....
Most people change computers from when they 1st get certified, so change is good. It's not about wrist vs console.

I would make a list of all the features you want:

Gradient factors
What info is on the main screen
Is it a pain in the rear to program settings
Air integrated
Multi-tank psi reading
Nitrox-multi-gas
Liberal or conservative algorithm
A specific algorithm
SIZE
How often needs to be recharged/serviced
Compass included
Want to wear it to work also
Forget console or wrist - Go Heads Up!
Color - yea like that's important too :)

Lastly, I'd ignore cost (what!!??)........Over the course of the next 3-5 years you'll be using it, the cost is just a fraction of all your travel, gas, charter, hotel and other costs. Try lots of computers and make lots of notes what you like and dislike. And ask anyone you are diving with to show you their computer too. People love to talk about their gear !

P.S. Pretty sure other readers can add to the above features list too !

So my question is, what's really wrong with an air integrated console computer for someone who isn't going to go into tech diving? Is it just the trim and dangles? I think I have those under control, and the issue is present whether there's just an SPG or a console at the end of your hose, right?
There is nothing wrong with it. As several have mentioned, part of the bias that you may perceive has to do with the failure of some divers to manage their console in a streamlined, and environmentally-friendly manner. But, the anti-console bias is somewhat akin to the anti-jacket BCD bias - a lot depends on HOW you use the gear you have, not WHAT gear you have

If you can read your computer, that's what counts.

I use both for redundancy. The console is clipped and mostly used as backup as I refer to the wrist more often since it is easier. I also use a mask with built in readers (+1.75). I would suggest that if you think that you will eventually use 2 computers to purchase them within the same brand. Therefore most likely the algorithm will be similar as well as functions.

I use both for redundancy. The console is clipped and mostly used as backup as I refer to the wrist more often since it is easier. I also use a mask with built in readers (+1.75). I would suggest that if you think that you will eventually use 2 computers to purchase them within the same brand.

Hi Scraps,

Ditto what Byrdie wrote above. I use the +1.5 reader inserts in my masks. I can read my Pro Plus 3 easily now. I also use a wrist mounted DC. I did have a DC failure on one dive. I ascended back to the boat and continued diving after we reconfigured my rig. Having redundancy is a good thing.

Both of my computers were Oceanic. Now I have a wrist DC that is a different brand. The Pro Plus computers along with my wrist computer have different settings to "equalize" the conservatism. For the diving I do, they play well together--YMMV.

I like my console. It is on a retractor. But, I am one of those weird Scubaboard members who still dives a jacket BCD.

If you like it, stay with it. Screw what others think.

cheers,
m

It is easier to glance at my wrist because I keep the console (with the pressure gear and depth gage) on my chest stuck under my BCD tgo the right (I hate it when it drags outside). I look at the comp more often than I check tank pressure so this makes sense to me.

Personal preference. I like all my gauges on my wrist easy for me to see without clipping on unclipping a console. I know several very advanced divers and instructors who like console mounted even when not teaching. It is all about what is most comfortable for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom