A Sincere Question about Console Vs. Wrist Computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For me it comes down to:
1. Consoles are nice since it is one less piece of gear that you need to remember to bring with you.

2. Wrist computers are nice since it is easier to look at my wrist, then to grab a console. I find that I am more aware of my depth when I can check it on my wrist. I personally prefer having a wrist mounted compass, so having it integrated with the computer is nice.

That's a lot of good information and perspectives. Thanks, everyone!

My take on it is this. I have a console mounted i300, SPG and compass. I also have a wrist mounted Perdix AI.

I like redundancy. Before I had the Perdix I had a Suunto Eon Core.

What I find is that I look at the wrist mounted computer over my console. I do occasionally pull the console out and check to see if the air pressure is reading the same and check out the i300.

But really I like the wrist mount better, it is accessible right now vs having to hunt for the console.

At the end of the day really there is nothing wrong with either method. I could see a issue using the console in tight confines if it is not stowed and hanging down, it could get caught on or hung up on something and there is a possibility of yanking the SPG off the hose and thus causing a bailout scenario.

But it really depends on you and the dive situation your into. For me I’m diving recreationally and just recently dove the Kittywake. I made sure my console was stowed before entry. Had no issues and relied on the wrist mounted computer.

I think you’ll do fine with either.

Good luck
Glenn

There is nothing wrong with a console at all. It comes down to personal preference. I will say that for instructors who need to control students, shoot an smb, and more, having a wrist computer is a massive benefit. It allows you to have your hands full and still see the information you need.

When I do DSDs (something I try not to do) I only take two people max at a time. Often I need to hold their tank valves for the first part of the dive to keep them from crashing into the bottom and so I can keep them from scurrying off. With my computer on my wrist, I can still glance and see any information I may need.

Take this with a grain of salt since I haven't used a console computer since my OW class, but apart from the trim and potential for danglies, another potential downside of console computers I can imagine is that they might make it hard to monitor your depth while trying to make a controlled ascent. Unless you have a really long (and extra dangly) hose that allows the console to be accessed by your right hand, it'd be hard to keep an eye on the console while your left hand is occupied with venting from a drysuit or dumping air from a BC. Similarly, it'd be tougher to read than a wrist computer if your hands are holding on to a camera or DSMB spool.

I don't think there is anything wrong with a console computer. One for sure you don't loose it when a strap breaks. I think both methods has their purpose. Yo are correct in that tech is a much more disiplined diving concept and with that comes rules. mostly well though out ones I must say. They however are rules that are critical for the type of diving being done PRIMARILY TECHNICAL DIVING. consoles are dangly things. so for them that is a no no for if they dangle they tangle. Dangly things are also a concern for environmental protection such as reefs. That is a REC diver concern for many. I think if you evaluate what kind if diving you want to do and tehnconsider where and around what. expected or prtential wise. use the strictest diving types to guide your gear purchase's. Gear choices can be just as important as skill abilities are.

Let me say this about that.... a console requires hands to use it. Hands that may be needed or better used for other things like shooting buoys, using your bcd etc.

If you are planning any sort of tech training, I would not want my computer tethered to one regulator set. There are a few reasons for this. You might find the need to swap regs out. Doing dive planning, gas changes, or even referring to logs for post dive debriefing is all better done with a computer you can carry around with you.

There are other times when I find it advantageous to carry my computer without it being tethered to a reg, or tank/reg.
-Downloading/syncing dive logs.
-crowded dive boat
-sitting i my truck to avoid bad weather, or mosquitoes (Florida ‍♂️)
-less prone to getting flogged by dive boat crew
-quick switch of gear due to reg failure
-changing dive gear/profiles between dives. Maybe teaching in the morning, and doing a fun doubles dive in the afternoon.
-traveling when I might have regs In checked baggage, but keep computer and lights in carry on.

For recreational, single tank diving, I personally think that it comes down to what you view as the most convenient. I now use both. My main DC is an Oceanic ProPlus3 Air Integrated console, and I use an Oceanic Geo2 (non Air Integrated wrist type) as my backup.

There are some who will say that console DCs are evil because they dangle and are not streamlined compared to wrist mounts. I have my PP3 clipped off on a retractor on my left shoulder D-Ring with the hose running under my left arm. It does not dangle and it is, for all practical purposes just as streamlined as a wrist DC would be. I will also never leave it on the boat when I get in the water. I have my Geo 2 "just in case" my PP3 fails. If that happens, I can quickly swap out my PP3 for an SPG that I keep in my Save-a-Dive Kit.

If, however, I was diving side mount with two tanks, then I would likely opt for something like a Shearwater Perdix AI and set it up to receive info from transmitters mounted on each tank.

Both console DCs and wrist mount DCs have their advantages, and they both have their disadvantages. Get (and use) what works for you. If you do opt for a console, just remember to clip it on and don't let it dangle.

If I may, as a general observation, there are some things wrong with console mounted computers......
not applicable to everyone or every situation, but......
An overwhelming amount of consoles are dangly.......see last photo making the rounds of the gauges in a giant clam......further, the constant "body shift" of the average diver trying to grab the console and bring it to view, distracts them enough to bring them out of trim. If they are connected by a snap or tether, unless practiced, while it is no longer dangly, it still distracts them.

There is one benefit of a console however.......makes for getting your computer less likely.

All of these issues can be negated by a wrist mounted computer......its always in view (with AI, so is your gas), causes no damage to environment or itself, lets you focus on situational awareness (the reason we dive..), further, now that digital compasses are becoming more popular it places them in the proffered location at all times.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom