A Sincere Question about Console Vs. Wrist Computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My personal viewpoint is wrist computer any day over a console computer.

Two main reasons:
No dangling unit so no chance of entanglement or dragging the unit through the dirt.
Wrist mounted computer is always available even when doing other things (such as holding a line or light) by simply tilting your wrist whereas you need to move a console and hold it in place to be able to read it.

Using a console is a matter of personal preference, and the decision to use one should be made because it meets the needs of the diver. There is no reason that in the future one can change their mind and configuration if they choose.

This is exactly what turned me off to consoles. I like my equipment to be lightweight, compact and within immediate reach.

Depending on the console the first two could be met, and the third depends on your placement. I have small console I use on one reg set I clip off to a D-ring and can read it while there, it's a pressure / depth, with that I wear a watch and use tables. It weighs a little more than the SPG clipped off and the necessary boot for wrist use for the computer.

An overwhelming amount of consoles are dangly.......see last photo making the rounds of the gauges in a giant clam......further, the constant "body shift" of the average diver trying to grab the console and bring them out of trim.

Now does that mean you approve of consoles if they are not misused, or is the possible misuse of a peice of gear by some, a valid reason disqualify it as a proper choice for a diver?

Bob

My personal viewpoint is wrist computer any day over a console computer.

Two main reasons:
No dangling unit so no chance of entanglement or dragging the unit through the dirt.
Wrist mounted computer is always available even when doing other things (such as holding a line or light) by simply tilting your wrist whereas you need to move a console and hold it in place to be able to read it.
So basically you are saying that people who use a console are not bright enough to clip it on so it won't dangle but those who use wrist computers are bright enough that it will never be left on the boat when they jump in the water and that their "wrist mounted computer is always available".

So how come it is perfectly Ok to have a console or a wrist gauge (this thread) but it seems to be not ok to ascend vertically (a different thread)? Aren't they both personal preference and what you are comfortable with?

Hi Scrips,

I prefer a wrist computer easier to glance at and doesn't dangle - but since the large display console is working well for you, I'll pass on some really good advice from my Grandfather:

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

So how come it is perfectly Ok to have a console or a wrist gauge (this thread) but it seems to be not ok to ascend vertically (a different thread)? Aren't they both personal preference and what you are comfortable with?

I don't have a problem with anyone ascending vertically as a personal preference. Actually, I don't care what preferences other divers have, except when they are my buddy, even then...

I may give my opinion of what I believe to be best practice, but I'm just another diver.

Bob

Using a console is a matter of personal preference, and the decision to use one should be made because it meets the needs of the diver. There is no reason that in the future one can change their mind and configuration if they choose.

Depending on the console the first two could be met, and the third depends on your placement. I have small console I use on one reg set I clip off to a D-ring and can read it while there, it's a pressure / depth, with that I wear a watch and use tables. It weighs a little more than the SPG clipped off and the necessary boot for wrist use for the computer.

Now does that mean you approve of consoles if they are not misused, or is the possible misuse of a peice of gear by some, a valid reason disqualify it as a proper choice for a diver?

Bob
Hey Bob, I would never tell anyone what the can or can’t use and certainly if it’s justified, well thought out and makes sense......use what you like. Except split fins......:vomit:lol

So basically you are saying that people who use a console are not bright enough to clip it on so it won't dangle but those who use wrist computers are bright enough that it will never be left on the boat when they jump in the water and that their "wrist mounted computer is always available".
In fact it's easier to clip off a console than put on a wrist unit is a way that does not get loose under water and slip off. There's a whole art to attaching bungees and special expanding straps to keep wrist computers from slipping off.

For recreational, single tank diving, I personally think that it comes down to what you view as the most convenient. I now use both. My main DC is an Oceanic ProPlus3 Air Integrated console, and I use an Oceanic Geo2 (non Air Integrated wrist type) as my backup.

There are some who will say that console DCs are evil because they dangle and are not streamlined compared to wrist mounts. I have my PP3 clipped off on a retractor on my left shoulder D-Ring with the hose running under my left arm. It does not dangle and it is, for all practical purposes just as streamlined as a wrist DC would be. I will also never leave it on the boat when I get in the water. I have my Geo 2 "just in case" my PP3 fails. If that happens, I can quickly swap out my PP3 for an SPG that I keep in my Save-a-Dive Kit.

If, however, I was diving side mount with two tanks, then I would likely opt for something like a Shearwater Perdix AI and set it up to receive info from transmitters mounted on each tank.

Both console DCs and wrist mount DCs have their advantages, and they both have their disadvantages. Get (and use) what works for you. If you do opt for a console, just remember to clip it on and don't let it dangle.

Agree totally The key to that is getting a quality retractor that will keep the computer pulled up against you.

What ever works for you. Both set ups get the job done. I prefer a wrist / watch style computer. I wear it pretty much thought out the day as a watch and a dive computer when giving classes. All the info it gives me is always just a glance away even if my hands are occupied or if I'm not close to my gear. I dont like to have to go back and forth tu my gear for simple info. It all depends on personal preference I guess.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom