Need authentic local food in cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is indeed chopped eyeball, is it not? I mean, not the eye muscle but the eyeball itself. Every time I have seen it on a menu I have asked for it, but I am always told they don't have any.

Right, but since there are only two eyes per cow (normal cows, anyway) and they usually cook just one cow head per night, I guess you need to get yours early, as they go fast!

There wasn't a comma between the two on their English menu translation. Kinda glad they were out then, lol.

What? Sushi Boy?? You never had Tuna Eyeball??? Popular item in Japan!

tunaeyeball.jpg

It is indeed chopped eyeball, is it not? I mean, not the eye muscle but the eyeball itself. Every time I have seen it on a menu I have asked for it, but I am always told they don't have any.

I always assumed that the ojos in head tacos are the actual eyeballs, however someone (Hispanic) recently told me that they are referring to the meat that surrounds the eyes. I'm not convinced. The next time we go to Puerto Vallarta I think I'm ready to get some head tacos, pero no quiero comer los sesos o los ojos. :) We've seen locals line up for the head tacos and eat them as though they are the best thing ever. We must try them, now that I know a little more Spanish :wink: A year or so ago I asked a taco cart guy there what he had and he said "tacos de la cabeza de rez." I did not yet know the word for brains so I just said "no, gracias."

I always assumed that the ojos in head tacos are the actual eyeballs, however someone (Hispanic) recently told me that they are referring to the meat that surrounds the eyes.

No, it is the whole eye, although sometimes they remove the optic nerve and the retina, due to their unpleasant texture and because they can hold very high concentrations of clenbuterol, an illegal steroid that is given to about 40% of Mexican cattle.

Back
Top Bottom