Visiting Maui in March

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
A few friends and I will be visiting Maui in March 2020 for a week, and staying in Ka'anapali. Can anyone offer advice on the best dive charters and locations? Will have car and we're competent with 200+ dives each. Thanks in advance!

We just spent the last week of Oct at Kaanapali. Shore diving is good. Boat trips to dive the Cathedrals (I and II) on the south shore of Lanai is very good. A good dive op for Lanai trips is Extended Horizons which departs from a wharf on the north side of Lahaina. The back wall of Molokini can be really good if conditions permit going there. Water temps in March are cooler, likely 76-78 degrees.

Many excellent restaurants in Kaanapali. My favorite is the Hula Grill. Don’t miss Fleetwoods in Lahaina. (It’s Mick Fleetwood’s.) There is a rock n roll photography studio on the first floor not to be missed.

Thank you! Who did you use for your Molokini trip?

Aloha

If you are planning on boat diving I highly recommend Hawaiian Rafting Adventures / Dive Maui. There website is www.goscubadivemaui.com. Great people with small groups. I have my own shore diving business here and always use them. They even do the Hammerhead dive on Thursdays. If you book tell them Scuba Steve sent you. If your interested in guided shore or scooter diving give me a shout. Im not to far from were you are staying and there are some really good dive sites on this side of the island.

Mahalo
Scuba Steve
Maui Dive Connection
Www.mauidiveconnection.com

If you're staying in Kāʻanapali, try and make time to do Mala Wharf/Pier:

https://goo.gl/maps/M9s7JdPXRY65aR2g6

I loved all the dives I did in Maui, but honestly this one was the best. Shore entry is a little tricky - have to walk over shallow dead coral. Just take it slow. 20ft. 90 min dive. Turtles everywhere, whitetips, and the only tiger snake moray I've ever seen. Go early!

23671646078_9d9b0626f0_w.jpg
37475643436_0d9811a00f_w.jpg

Thank you! Who did you use for your Molokini trip?

We used Lahaina Divers in Lahaina because they are convenient to Kaanapali and the timing worked. This was to inside of the Crater which was a long but pleasant boat ride, but the diving inside the crater is very mediocre.

My wife and I spent 12 days in Lahaina and we mostly went diving with Extended Horizons. Smaller boat, great crew, boat runs on biodiesel so the exhaust is less unpleasant when you get a back draft. They do a lot of diving on sites on Lanai. First Cathedral is not to be missed.

We did Molokini and were unimpressed except for the visibility on the back side of the crater, it was almost as good as the Lehua Crater off of Ni'ihau.

We also used Maui Divers for the hammerhead (or not) dives off of Molokai. Bigger boat but you need it for that channel crossing. Sharks are there 2 out of 5 trips according to prophesy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom