Tank handle or no tank handle

Tank handle or no tank handke

• Tank handle

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • No tank handle

Votes: 50 76.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think I've ever seen one of these installed on a tank in person. Seems interesting for al80's. For larger tanks like my steel 108's I think it would be difficult to lift it by such a handle. I usually sling a tank over my shoulder as others have suggested or simply strap it to my bp/w and carry it that way if needed. If I've got any distance to go (such as from the turkey roost to the ballroom cavern at ginnie) then a cart of some kind is in order.

I don't use a handle, but can think of another scenario when one might be useful; namely carrying cylinders when it's particularly cold. I don't like lugging my stages with gloves as it's difficult to get purchase. On the other hand, bare hands on cold metal brings on Renard's, which is not the most comfortable start to a dive.

Have just put handles on my steel tanks. The ones i use can be pivoted around the tank and can also snapped up or down so they are flush with the tank or BCD back plate. I have found zero downside to having these and they make life so much easier when transporting tanks around the place (home, car, boat and shore). I see people carrying two tanks and wobbling all over the place. I can carry four steel tanks just fine with these handles, push them up wrap hand through two handles, repeat on the other hand and start walking - its bloody heavy if you are not used to lifting that much weight and a cart is certainly easier.

They are also really easy to remove, takes about 60 seconds so its not they are a permanent feature.

Whats wrong with carrying an AL80 over your shoulder with a hand on the valve?

Michael
This reminds me of a line from that historical song in elementary school: "Can you throw it o'er your shoulder, like a Continental sailor, or do your tanks...hang...low."

I've never tried them but wonder if they might be handy for carrying my hot freshly filled tank back to the car. It's less of a problem now that I usually have a sweater or jacket on, but it got a little uncomfortable on my shoulder in summer with a tank top.

I’ve never seen these before today but I cannot see how they wouldn’t be more comfortable than just the valves. I’ve never once found myself saying “wow carrying these tanks by the valves is so comfortable” infact I’m usually saying the opposite. I’d would for sure try one. And if i was doing a dive that might make it more of a risk (overhead environments, plant life etc) I would just remove them the night before that specific dive.

I'm old and use a 2 wheeler to roll my tanks to the boat. It's a long way !!!

I just carry by the valve, or on my shoulder, but if they made a handle that would carry the tank for me I'd buy that!

I'm old and use a 2 wheeler to roll my tanks to the boat. It's a long way !!!

JFC...

Me too...singles by the valve...two fingers under the main valve body...doubles by pneumatic tire hand cart/ratcheting tie down strap...

Just me...but the handle shown by the OP is an entanglement hazard...and an obstruction...and isn't the cylinder shown a 3AL 80 which is a light cylinder...again...just me...

W.W...

Defintley like the handle on my 300 Bar 12L cylinder, it does hurt carrying it by the valve for longer distances. On the other hand, I wouldn't even consider bothering with a handle for AL80's, they're so easy to deal with anyway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom