A Sincere Question about Console Vs. Wrist Computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So how come it is perfectly Ok to have a console or a wrist gauge (this thread) but it seems to be not ok to ascend vertically (a different thread)? Aren't they both personal preference and what you are comfortable with?

I guess it depends who you ask. The TEC guy will promote the horizontal ascent position as well as the use of the rear wing deflator. The REC guy will say it doesnt matter and use the inflator hose to deflate their BCD.. Certainly the latter requires less skills, so that will probably be the popular ascent position Among REC divers. Cause and effect is your opinion. Is it important. again depends who you ask. Its hard to do virtical ascents in a confined space like a cave. Maintaining a horizontal trim in a cave probably translates to the same position used for ascent. Again cause and effect???

Something was mentioned in one of the posts regarding console computers and updating them. Perhaps a stupid question. Are updatable computers used in consoles. and how much hassle is it to update one if not blue tooth linked. This certainly would be a factor one should consider if in the market for a console computer. What are some of the updatable console computers ? If anyone has a list it would be great. I have never been asked about that before when solicited about what is best.

......use what you like. Except split fins......

The only issue I have with split fins is that they have no low end torque. Oh yeah, and they can kick sand up swimming horosantal 5' off the bottom, or more.

Bob

Yes, they are, this should not be a factor in making a decision.

Explain. If one wants an updatable computer in a console that should surely reduce he amount of choices to pick from. That certainly does make it a factor in buying. All my old puters needed a dongle plugged into it. that is hard to do if the computer is hose AI and enclosed in a boot. bluetooth has become a welcome fix for that. Again if you have a list of console pucks that are updatable,,,, Ill file it for when the discussion comes up again.

I just did a google for upgradable console hose AI computers and ended up with an article that was 2019 best computers. the list included shearwater petrel or perdix , I dont remember. Not a single one of them listed in the Key functions or attractions any link ability and I know shearwater does. I assume that any puc with an AI xmitter would not be a problem removing to update if available the AI hose part makes it difficult and more prone to being not updatable compared to others unless it is done via BT.

The only issue I have with split fins is that they have no low end torque. Oh yeah, and they can kick sand up swimming horosantal 5' off the bottom, or more.

Bob
I am under impression that splits are heavier than average fins, because of their thick outer edges.

Explain. If one wants an updatable computer in a console that should surely reduce he amount of choices to pick from. That certainly does make it a factor in buying. All my old puters needed a dongle plugged into it. that is hard to do if the computer is hose AI and enclosed in a boot. bluetooth has become a welcome fix for that. Again if you have a list of console pucks that are updatable,,,, Ill file it for when the discussion comes up again.

I just did a google for upgradable console hose AI computers and ended up with an article that was 2019 best computers. the list included shearwater petrel or perdix , I dont remember. Not a single one of them listed in the Key functions or attractions any link ability and I know shearwater does. I assume that any puc with an AI xmitter would not be a problem removing to update if available the AI hose part makes it difficult and more prone to being not updatable compared to others unless it is done via BT.
Not all console computers are housed in boots. True, some of the basic "puck sized" ones may be, but ones such as the Oceanis ProPlus series are not, Suunto Cobra series are not just to name a couple. I don't know if they can be upgraded by Blue Tooth, but both the Oceanic ProPlus X and the ProPlus4 are Bluetooth 4.0 compatible. I do know that for these dive computers, the Bluetooth connection can be used for the set-up of the computer as well as downloading the dive log info.

From the Oceanic Website:

Screen Shot 2019-11-29 at 12.25.52 AM.png

Any console computer that can be downloaded and/or updated does not require removable to connect, even if wired. In Aqualung, the i300c and i550c are both console and updateable. Same for most if not all Pelagic consoles for many years.

I am under impression that splits are heavier than average fins, because of their thick outer edges.

They didn't seem as heavy as my Jets, and my favorite discontinued Farafins were even heavier than jets. I tried other fins that were lighter but never cared for them. Had a set of Mares Quattros that tried to kill me, I sent the remaining fin back with explicit instructions where to put it.

Bob

Any console computer that can be downloaded and/or updated does not require removable to connect, even if wired. In Aqualung, the i300c and i550c are both console and updateable. Same for most if not all Pelagic consoles for many years.

Thanks it has been a long time since I have been in the market for a puter since I got my shearwaters. At the time most all the console types I saw had some generic 150-300 dollar puck in it. non up datable. May I add a very popular inexpensive item to sell at a LDS. My aeris had a dongle port on the side and the connector also served as wet probe but I dont think it was firmware updatable as much as for dive profile transfers to the desktop programs.

Is it fair to say that most puters today are now updatable or is that going to be a function of upper end console computers? If it is an upper end model thing then it is something to consider when finding a inexpensive console. It IMO is a valuable function to have when flaws are found or functions are added to the line without having to buy an entire new puter.

Back
Top Bottom