A Sincere Question about Console Vs. Wrist Computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a number of others that have the puck type computer in a console. what are some replacement puck types that can do firmware updates?? Wwen ever I have been asked I always have to say I dont know.

They didn't seem as heavy as my Jets, and my favorite discontinued Farafins were even heavier than jets. I tried other fins that were lighter but never cared for them. Had a set of Mares Quattros that tried to kill me, I sent the remaining fin back with explicit instructions where to put it.

Bob
Well, in my fin collection, Tilos Starbursts are 1 pd 11 oz per piece; Aqualung Pulses are 2 pd 2 oz per piece; Sherwood Magnum V's are 2 pd 4 oz per piece; and Mares X-Stream is 1 pd 11 oz (I have only one left :)) but my Tusa Z3 splits are 2 pd 6 oz per piece. This makes some difference when travelling by air.

So basically you are saying that people who use a console are not bright enough to clip it on so it won't dangle but those who use wrist computers are bright enough that it will never be left on the boat when they jump in the water and that their "wrist mounted computer is always available".
If that is what you want to take from my post, I couldn't care less.

I have a number of others that have the puck type computer in a console. what are some replacement puck types that can do firmware updates?? Wwen ever I have been asked I always have to say I dont know.
I think it is a mixed bag, regardless of puck or other format. All Aqualung models are updateable, only the higher end Suunto models are.

Well, in my fin collection, Tilos Starbursts are 1 pd 11 oz per piece; Aqualung Pulses are 2 pd 2 oz per piece; Sherwood Magnum V's are 2 pd 4 oz per piece; and Mares X-Stream is 1 pd 11 oz (I have only one left :)) but my Tusa Z3 splits are 2 pd 6 oz per piece. This makes some difference when travelling by air.
I know this is off topic, but all other things being equal a lighter fin is more efficient as there is less mass to stop and start as you kick.

I know this is off topic, but all other things being equal a lighter fin is more efficient as there is less mass to stop and start as you kick.
Sure, it is harder to fence with a heavier sable. But I'd say that underwater the mass hardly matters because the main work is done against water resistance.

Nothing wrong at all. But consider getting bifocal lenses in your mask for better clarity of up close little critters and ability to read ANY computer.

Whatever you go with, I strongly second the suggestions to get lenses added to your mask.

I got +2.5 lenses added to the bottom of my mask a few years ago so I could read my computer, gauges, and most importantly, my camera. I now have no trouble at all seeing things up close and it makes finding small animals so much easier:
I_lumnitzeri_TheMonument191123-3.jpg

If the fin stands up to the force of the kick. If they flex and spill water instead turning force into motion the efficiency is reduced.

Bob

I think it is a mixed bag, regardless of puck or other format. All Aqualung models are updateable, only the higher end Suunto models are.

That is really quite a bit of progress then. I dive with many that use console puck computers that are not updatable. the gear could be over a decade old. Another aspect of computers is the ascent rate display. In your experience does the display play into the ascent rate assumption of the computer. IE below 60 ft ascent meter is a 60 ft / min scale. above 60 ft it shifts to a 30 ft / min scale. I would bet that some of the other divers computers are still programmed to plan on ascending at 60 ft / min all the way to the surface.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom