How to Service a SiTech Exhaust Valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've made a ton of instructional videos and work videos for our clients at www.youtube.com/deepsouthdivers if you're interested. There's a lot of good stuff there on drysuits, drygloves, and dryglove rings too.

Here's an example:

I can't find your instructions for options on replacing shoulder dump with wrist dump. I think one alt was to use the wrist-dump top part with with the adjustable bottom part, for at least a lower profile? As I recall, there were 2 or 3 options.

I think the video that you're looking for is this one:

It's a fun exercise in using various parts to get done what you're looking to get done. :D

Be forewarned... After about 500 dives on the Trigon/cuff dump modification, I DID experience a very odd situation: The cuff dump and the first Trigon check valve vapor locked themselves together after a giant stride entry from about 10' in the air. That is... The second and third check valves got locked together in just such a way that they would allow no air in or out of the suit at all. Very weird, but very true! A once-in-500-dive issue, but not one that I was able to remedy until I got out of the water and removed the valves and "reset" them.

The problem came from the cuff dump check valve opening so violently (from the large giant stride) that it sealed up against the Trigon's bottom - preventing exhaust out. At the same time, the Trigon's bottom most check valve closed against the opposite side, and a seal was formed that wholly prevented any air movement either in or out.

As such, I no longer recommend using the bottom half of the cuff dump. Simply use the top half of a Trigon pee valve with the lower half of the standard adjustable exhaust valve (that has a filter in it), and use the system as a double redundant check valve rather than a triple.

I have not ever had a double redundant check valve system leak.

Nonetheless, disassemble and clean out the exhaust valve system periodically anyway... I recommend every 20-30 dives depending on how silty your water is.

Yeah, that's the one. Thanks! I might have found it had I not repeatedly searched DeepSeaDivers like a monkey with his thumb on the "more cocaine" button. Great idea!........also....., I have no intentions of doing a 10 foot giant stride thanks.

I was Googling how to service a Si-Tech exhaust valve, and came across this thread.

Not sure what happened yesterday, as when I went to dump the air from my suit, half the valve was missing. Must have bumped it hard on something, as we found some of the valve parts in the parking lot. :(

Had an old suit with an identical valve, so used the video to repair the valve that was missing the parts. Will give it a try tomorrow, but it appears to be working as intended. Of interest, even though my valve was missing parts, I was still able to complete the dive and dump air from my suit without getting wet :D

FYI - you started this thread with the comment "Years ago a fellow Scubaboarder named TS&M posted an article on how to open a SiTech exhaust valve and clean it out." Not sure if you are aware, and I apologize in advance if you are, but TS&M was lost during a dive several years ago. No trace of her has ever been found. Very sad day for all Scubaboard members when we read she had been lost - she was a huge contributor to the forums.

Dive safe !!

Divegoose

I was Googling how to service a Si-Tech exhaust valve, and came across this thread.

Not sure what happened yesterday, as when I went to dump the air from my suit, half the valve was missing. Must have bumped it hard on something, as we found some of the valve parts in the parking lot. :(

Had an old suit with an identical valve, so used the video to repair the valve that was missing the parts. Will give it a try tomorrow, but it appears to be working as intended. Of interest, even though my valve was missing parts, I was still able to complete the dive and dump air from my suit without getting wet :D

FYI - you started this thread with the comment "Years ago a fellow Scubaboarder named TS&M posted an article on how to open a SiTech exhaust valve and clean it out." Not sure if you are aware, and I apologize in advance if you are, but TS&M was lost during a dive several years ago. No trace of her has ever been found. Very sad day for all Scubaboard members when we read she had been lost - she was a huge contributor to the forums.

Dive safe !!

Divegoose

Thrilled that you were able to use the video to work things out. That's awesome! :D

No, I didn't know that TS&M was gone. I have wondered for years where she went... No more posts, no responses to PMs, nothing. I asked for her to repost her instructional several times before giving up.

Maaaaaan... That sucks. Holy cow I had no idea. It must have been several years ago now - that was the last time I heard from her.

I'm a commercial diver these days... And I do a lot of search and recovery, including body recoveries. Any idea who I can talk to for more information? I mean - maybe there's something that I can do. I dunno.

Here is the link to her passing - www.scubaboard.com/community/threads/tsandm-lynne-flaherty.513219/

After almost 4.5 years since she left us, I don't think there is anything that can be done. Currents can be very strong off the northwest coast of Washington, and exhaustive searches failed to find anything.

Divegoose

I'm speechless.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom