Dive ladder steps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like a tree shaped ladder. Step open on both sides.

Me too, but they are hard to do well. The best ones I have used have two tubular vertical center posts that are about 1"/25mm in diameter and about 4"/100mm apart. They provide a good hand-hold in addition to the center support. The other important factor is a bumper on the end of the horizontal rungs to prevent wet feet from slipping off the end and minimize point impact loading if divers get slammed against the ends of the rungs -- important in sloppy seas.

Space permitting, I prefer a flat step/rung that is about 4"/100mm deep with a rounded leading edge. Round or narrow flat rungs put a lot of pressure on a heavily laden diver's feet. A non-skid surface is important on any rungs.

Christmas tree or conventional, I also like a small deep step/platform at the bottom of the ladder that is located about 4'/1200mm below the waterline. A platform that is about 12"/300mm deep is pretty comfortable. That bottom platform on a Christmas tree ladder allows you to get on it before removing fins and is a safe place to remove them when it isn't safe to board the boat with them on.

I favor fin (Christmas tree) ladders, with large round rungs, spaced closer together as they rise so the effort of each step remains closer to the same as you come out of the water with gear. A light to medium knurl with a finish pass to trim off the sharp points helps hugely with traction and doesn't tear up fins or boots.

Boat I did my Straits charter on this year has a great ladder. All I know are fin on/Christmas tree ladders.
9E8BDF4A-CD9B-4FFE-ADD0-714D1D1FE6E2.jpeg

Well, yes, an elevator in an ideal world. Ha

I prefer flat as round hurts, even when wound with cord. Nice to have a railing but some have too much rail at the gunwale for us shortlegged folk. Having made it to the top, then having to twist around to swing a leg over a handhold rung, that's almost the height that my thighbone is long, gets more difficult every year.

My favorite dive ladders are not ultimately that sensible most places. They're build from wood, nice and wide, as well as, angled like a staircase, then sealed in a protective marine coating of some kind. Inasmuch as, these types have to be lifted out of the water and stored on the boat for transport, it's understandable to me why not commonplace.

I favor fin (Christmas tree) ladders, with large round rungs, spaced closer together as they rise so the effort of each step remains closer to the same as you come out of the water with gear. A light to medium knurl with a finish pass to trim off the sharp points helps hugely with traction and doesn't tear up fins or boots.

i had not thought of making the steps closer together as they come up great idea for sure.

Me too, but they are hard to do well. The best ones I have used have two tubular vertical center posts that are about 1"/25mm in diameter and about 4"/100mm apart. They provide a good hand-hold in addition to the center support. The other important factor is a bumper on the end of the horizontal rungs to prevent wet feet from slipping off the end and minimize point impact loading if divers get slammed against the ends of the rungs -- important in sloppy seas.

Space permitting, I prefer a flat step/rung that is about 4"/100mm deep with a rounded leading edge. Round or narrow flat rungs put a lot of pressure on a heavily laden diver's feet. A non-skid surface is important on any rungs.

Christmas tree or conventional, I also like a small deep step/platform at the bottom of the ladder that is located about 4'/1200mm below the waterline. A platform that is about 12"/300mm deep is pretty comfortable. That bottom platform on a Christmas tree ladder allows you to get on it before removing fins and is a safe place to remove them when it isn't safe to board the boat with them on.

What’s the point of a Christmas tree ladder If you have to take your fins off?

Has anyone ever seen/tried a Christmas tree ladder with alternating steps? I've seen alternating tread stairs on some ships and warehouse ladders, and they work shockingly well. It would also make for a lighter ladder since you'd only have half the number of steps.

Has anyone ever seen/tried a Christmas tree ladder with alternating steps? I've seen alternating tread stairs on some ships and warehouse ladders, and they work shockingly well. It would also make for a lighter ladder since you'd only have half the number of steps.

That might be OK as long as every diver has two good knees and two good hips.

Back
Top Bottom