Has anyone seen or used the new Scubapro Hydros Pro BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I assume the problems of version 1 will all be taken care of, and more?

Nah. Only seen pictures but it looks like a jacket style version of the Hydros. (I stand corrected).

Thanks for the information. I like to buy local when I can and can usually negotiate a discount that at least matches the sales tax. In any event, she changed her mind and bought an Aqualung Rogue. Interestingly, although advertised as lighter, when we took it home I weighted it and it was only about 6 ounces lighter than my Hydros Pro, which is a larger size.

She is going to try it in their pool this week and if she doesn't like it they will will refund price and she will look at the Hydros again.
CAUTION for the Aqualung Rogue - NEVER BUY A BCD WITH PLASTIC PIECES!! I bought this BCD in 2018, just finished a dive trip a week ago. I had only about 35 dives on it, and on the last dive my weight pocket fell off during the dive! I started to involuntarily ascend, thank god I was near a bottom surface and not on a wall (where it could never be retrieved) and that someone was close to me and grabbed it quickly!! This was a life-threatening situation. I thought the BCD was cool because you could take it apart and it was lightweight for travel, but the weight pockets are held on by plastic tabs that fatigue easily!! Upon inspection, the tab (that that weight pocket clicks into), is so fatigued that it's about to break off, again after 35 dives! The tab on other side that holds the other weight pocket is also fatigued and I'm sure would've failed soon. I took a lot of care with the BCD - never stored it with the weights in between dives. I would never let anyone I know dive with this BCD.

CAUTION for the Aqualung Rogue - NEVER BUY A BCD WITH PLASTIC PIECES!! I bought this BCD in 2018, just finished a dive trip a week ago. I had only about 35 dives on it, and on the last dive my weight pocket fell off during the dive! I started to involuntarily ascend, thank god I was near a bottom surface and not on a wall (where it could never be retrieved) and that someone was close to me and grabbed it quickly!! This was a life-threatening situation. I thought the BCD was cool because you could take it apart and it was lightweight for travel, but the weight pockets are held on by plastic tabs that fatigue easily!! Upon inspection, the tab (that that weight pocket clicks into), is so fatigued that it's about to break off, again after 35 dives! The tab on other side that holds the other weight pocket is also fatigued and I'm sure would've failed soon. I took a lot of care with the BCD - never stored it with the weights in between dives. I would never let anyone I know dive with this BCD.
I have an Outlaw, I've not been a fan of the weight pockets. The blind hook up is only one of my complaints. The criticism, above, only adds to my concern.

Hi everyone,

long time lurker, first time poster. I thought I would ask my question here rather than creating a new thread.

I finally decided to buy a hydros pro after being able to test it for 2 dives in Cape Town.

I have, however, a size question and thought I would ask it on this thread. I was diving with a M and it felt OK but I was wondering if a L wouldn't be more appropriate looking at the size charts. Especially for the back length.

I'm 6'1" (187cm) and 170 pounds (76kg) and usually dive with a 5mm with the occasional dry suit diving in lakes in Austria (but that's not too often).

Any advice would be appreciated from owners who are around my height and weight!

Thanks in advance!

The Hydros sizing is a bit peculiar - they probably could have just gone for 'one size fits all' and ended up with the same result. Instead they went with 4 'sizes' (seven if you add in the women's) that appear to heavily overlap with each other and seem to have no correlation to the sizing that exists for most other products.

I wear a 48 suit jacket - typically an XL or XXL at a minimum if I'm buying a shirt - but I have a 'L' Hydros and find that I wear it with most of the straps run in most of the way (tropical). I'm actually looking at shortening and restitching some of them to reduce clutter. Even adding in substantial thermal protection I can't see maxing out the straps at their default length - I did use it for a drysuit course and there were no issues.

In short, you really have to try it on to be sure, but odds are pretty high that the 'M' will work for you. They could certainly afford to be a bit more informative with their sizing chart of what actually changes between the SKUs...

Hi Mike,

thanks a lot for taking the time to answer.

I guess I will follow your advice.

The M I dove with fitted me well I was just wondering about back length and shoulder straps length.

But the waist belt was a bit long for me as well.

My wife had similar issues with two of her Aqualung BCDs. She had the weight inserts replaced by Aqualung on one of the units, but the problem persisted. One time was at the beginning of a dive at the Great Blue Hole in Belize. One pouch let go, despite her habit of checking them multiple times prior to diving. She had just started her descent and I saw a puff of sand swirl up from the impact of the weight pocket. It was about 2 feet from making the 400+ foot trip to the bottom of the hole. I recovered it and we replaced it and luckily had no further incidents on that trip. After some continued problems on a trip to Key West she came back from a dive, went directly to Divers Direct and bought a Zeagle Stiletto and has had zero problems since.

I might sell mine. I'm not 100% sure if I want to yet.

Ok guys here’s the finish product. Shout out to @tridacna for the harness and help

Attachments

• 9357E944-0E6B-4FD0-BE04-6CC05E779A30.jpeg
    9357E944-0E6B-4FD0-BE04-6CC05E779A30.jpeg
    94.4 KB · Views: 212
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom