Back in the saddle after a long hiatus.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I returned to diving almost three years ago after a fifteen year hiatus. I probably could have got by with just a refresher, but I chose to re-take the open water course.

You did a lot more diving before your long break than I did, so maybe a refresher is enough for you, but I'm glad I re-took the course because it made me realize how much material I had forgot, and because I think I learned it better the second time around. Also, it motivated me to continue my dive training afterwards.

Welcome back.

Yeah, the last time I dove I was very comfortable with it. I'm probably going with the refresher course. Still looking for a budget friendly two button PDC...the Mares Puck has a hard price to beat.

Yeah, the last time I dove I was very comfortable with it. I'm probably going with the refresher course. Still looking for a budget friendly two button PDC...the Mares Puck has a hard price to beat.
There are some options. Mares Nemo wide, Oceanic Veo 2 (discontinued), an Suunto Zoop are all less than $250 at Leisure Pro. Keep in mind, though, if you plan on logging dives, you may need an extra cable. I’m certain that a cable is needed for the Oceanic, not sure about the others. It used to be the norm for computer manufacturers to have proprietary expensive cables. Thankfully, newer computers are using Bluetooth, so no expensive cables are needed. If you plan on logging from the PDC, you may find that a newer computer with BT may be less expensive.

If you are certified you are under no obligation to get re-certified. Do the refresher and then maybe AOW.
Computers require some study, but are not that difficult to set up and use. But they are important.

Have fun!

Well I put some reading lenses in my mask today. They seem to work ok out of water, I can put the mask on and read the PC screen just fine. However my wife seems bothered by me sitting on the couch with my mask one.

When I came back to diving, I inspected all my gear and had my regulator serviced. Found a dive shop doing pool time. The first pool session I checked out my gear and skills on my own in the pool and in 5 minutes determined I was good to go. Spent some time that first time under water and returned two more times to swim laps with and without gear to get in shape for my first dive trip in many years. This option worked well for me.

If you are planning to go on dive boats, some require advanced diver cert and/or deep diver cert or logged deep dive experience.

Consider Nitrox cert. As you get older, it's good to absorb less nitrogen on your dives.

Getting fills for your old tank may be a problem as mentioned above.

If you are looking for a budget computer, now is the time. You can still get Black Friday and Christmas sales from online stores and maybe your LDS. Leisurepro.com scuba.com divers-supply.com and others

Have fun and start diving again!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom