Strip Aluminum Cylinder 2019

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

agd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
My aluminum pony tank, originally yellow, has started to flake and bubble with trapped salt deposits under the bubbling areas. I have scraped away the loose paint a couple of times as the bubbling progresses, but would like to completely strip the tank down to the bare aluminum, including the paint which is still adhering and then just leave it alone.

I have reviewed most of the many threads that discuss this topic, but with the ban on consumer sale of the most recommended methylene chloride based strippers earlier this year, what chemical formulation or product brand that is actually available might be able to actually accomplish this? I have seen some internet discussions of alternate products that do not seem particularly promising.

Any help or guidance to update the process in the new eco world would be appreciated..

AGD

My aluminum pony tank,..., what chemical formulation or product brand that is actually available might be able to actually accomplish this?...

Most all the chemical strippers are going to take a significant amount of elbow work on a newer pony because the original paint sticks so well. Although a little more expensive, an alternative is called cold " Dustless Blasting ". It's widely available in most cities and commonly used on older rusted antique auto bodies. I used it on my steel tanks to remove the thick paint without removing any metal and it worked perfectly with a smooth clean finish. If you are very flexible on your time needed to dustless blast your pony tank so it can be an "add-on" to a bigger job, it should be really cheap. Search locally for 'Dustless Blasting' and give them a call.

Thanks for that advice.. I will check if that may be available nearby.

I had one that I bought real cheap because it was peeling paint and looked like crap while out of hydro. Friend had a blast cabinet that was using a plastic media. Screwed a junk valve in and went to town on it. Knocked off the paint and oxide, the factory sanding scratches were still clearly visible. Polished it up, set it out for hydro. Came back good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom