Cozumel makes "No" List for 2020

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know any modern day people who read Fodor's anymore - haha. Anyway, not many cruise ship people dive and since Cozumel has basically turned into a major cruise ship port, there are plenty of other ways for them to ruin the island.

I will probably take some heat for this, but being true to myself and my beliefs is more important than $$ or popularity. Because I am so against cruise ships and everything they represent, Blue XT~Sea has stopped accepting cruise ship passengers under any circumstances. We didn't take a lot to begin with, but now we will do our part not to support this industry or the people that support it.

I'm sure you could borrow a couple of torpedo tubes from the Sinaloa cartel and have the Bandida conduct a night attack! :76feet:

I'd love to see the climate change movement take direct aim at these island hopping monstrosities.

I'm sure you could borrow a couple of torpedo tubes from the Sinaloa cartel and have the Bandida conduct a night attack! :76feet:

Just hire the guys that bombed Barcos Caribe. It would be cheaper as they are local....

Just hire the guys that bombed Barcos Caribe. It would be cheaper as they are local....

The story that I heard was that the "founder" of Barcos Caribe was the ex-governor, who was (is?), jailed on corruption charges, and it was his Dad who placed and detonated the explosives to collect on the insusrance policy.

The story that I heard was that the "founder" of Barcos Caribe was the ex-governor, who was (is?), jailed on corruption charges, and it was his Dad who placed and detonated the explosives to collect on the insusrance policy.

I heard that too but I am not sure that makes sense to me. They found one floating and more on the parked boat that never went off. I can't imagine the loss to the boat that blew up took that much damage. And I think the boats were mostly in Dad's name. Never keep stolen money in your own name right? That being said, I LOVED those Caribe boats....

On the other hand, the creditor supposed snuck in and removed the boats in the middle of the night as the gov wouldn't release them.

And I still tend to think that with Borge locked up, they seemed weak and someone struck. You will note that the other two ferries just doubled their rates.

I still have a Borge hat someone gave me back when he was running.

Belize you say? Where in Belize? I am starting to get concerned about my beloved Cozumel.

I few years ago, 2014 maybe. I found the best diving i have ever found in the Caribbean in Belize. "Ive been to Cozumel 5 times. Curacao, PR,DR,Statia,LC, and local diving in Ambergris Caye atleast 5 times" Not local diving. I was on a Blue Hole trip, The blue hole was ok, but the other two dives in the area have been the best I have seen anywhere in the Caribbean. One day I will take a week and spend the money to stay at one of the resorts on Turneffe, which is the best I think, but pricey. Maybe close to Grand Cayman prices.

Hope this helps you .

Ryan

but the other two dives in the area have been the best I have seen anywhere in the Caribbean.

Can't disagree with that. Best 2 dives I had in Belize was on the way back to Ambergris from our day at Bule Hole.

Next time I do Belize, it will be liveaboard and 100% on those outer reefs and atols.

I few years ago, 2014 maybe. I found the best diving i have ever found in the Caribbean in Belize. "Ive been to Cozumel 5 times. Curacao, PR,DR,Statia,LC, and local diving in Ambergris Caye atleast 5 times" Not local diving. I was on a Blue Hole trip, The blue hole was ok, but the other two dives in the area have been the best I have seen anywhere in the Caribbean. One day I will take a week and spend the money to stay at one of the resorts on Turneffe, which is the best I think, but pricey. Maybe close to Grand Cayman prices.

Hope this helps you .

Ryan

Turneffe is much, much more expensive than Grand Cayman. I was able to do a week of diving in GC for well under $2000 excluding airfare (meals and drinks making up a significant portion of that). Turneffe will easily run you $3000+, with airfare being more expensive as well.

That said the diving is probably better... I'd just rather do two weeks of diving in Grand Cayman and Cozumel instead of one week there.

One day I will take a week and spend the money to stay at one of the resorts on Turneffe, which is the best I think, but pricey.

We visited Ambergris Caye many years ago when there wasn't a cobblestone road or a car on the island. We dived the local near shore reefs but the best diving to be had was on the full day excursions south. Before I'd spend the $ to stay on Turneffe I'd check with the local dive ops on Ambergris Caye for pricing and the frequency of their full day trips to those southern dive sites. It may be far cheaper to stay on Ambergris and pay up for the long range, full day dive trips that the dive ops offer there than to stay on Turneffe and dive from there. We had inexpensive accommodations at the Mayan Princess and dived with Amigos Del Mar right out back on the water that offered extended full day trips. Back then extended full day trips were hit or miss depending on demand but these days I bet they run all the time. These days the all day trips are running $235 PP which I think cost $150 when we did it way back when. Got to run the #'s and see what get's you the best combo for your dive dollar and what you want to get out of this trip.

Well I must say reading this thread was thoroughly depressing. The Coral blight...Dave and Cristi retiring/changing locations, cats and dogs living in sin! Sheesh! Seriously though, we took a break from Coz last year to do a Philippine dive safari for 26 days. Otherwise we've been doing Coz every year 1-2 times for the last 12 years. Now I'm a lil apprehensive as to what we will see at the end of April. Howdy Chief and Gordon! :cheers:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom